AMD Phenom II X2 550 and ddr3 1600mhz ram

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BruinBeer

Ok, can someone make this clear for me. Someone told me I shouldn't use 1600mhz ram with this cpu because it can only run 1333mhz.
Also, I have a set of Kingston HyperX 3gb(3x 1gb) ddr3 1600mhz that I wanted to use in my system, but someone also told me its not going to work because the Phenom II 550 can only run with a maximum of 2 sticks of ram and that this set of ram is not going to work because its made up out of 3 sticks(3x 1gb).
So, is all this true? :-( :-(

BruinBeer

I recall something about 6gb of ram with this cpu but I'm not sure. So any info on if that statements are true or false is welcomed

dustyjay

Jay
If you can list othrr components (like the Motherboard Manufacturer, Model, and revisions (if any)) it would help.

Triple6

Rob
Your system does support 1600Mhz DDR3 and using 3 sticks. The motherboard will support up to 16GB's and 1800Mhz DDR3 via its 4 memory slots. The memory you have though is designed for the Intel 1366 platform that supports triple channel, hence why there are 3 sticks - but you can still use it on an AMD dual channel board.

BruinBeer

Ok, so it will work, but the question is how good? I know its only 3gb but it have to work for now.
Is this stuff going to perform a little in my machine or is it going to be crappy?
(sorry, but I'm realy stupid when it comes to ram)

crjdriver

There are some issues with more than 2 ram chips. From what I recall when you use more than 2 chips, the default speed is set down to 800mzh. This is due to a limitation on the memory controller that is part of the cpu. You may be able to set the speed manually in the bios.

With my system [running 4 ram chips rated @1066] it goes down to 800 on the ram speed. I overclock the system and the current ram speed is around 950.

If you are running win7 or vista, I would think you would benefit from the 3gig of ram. Running xp, I doubt you would notice any difference over 2gig.

BruinBeer

But if I run XP, 2gb is going to be crap for games, even with the ram running at 1600mhz, or am I wrong?

BruinBeer

So, should I give this set a try, or should I try to sell it and get something else?

crjdriver

It does not hurt to try the ram. Do check the sticker on the ram for any voltage settings that need to be made. Default is 1.5V however if your ram needs a higher voltage, you need to set that in the bios.

BruinBeer

Ok, thanks alot for the help. For now I'm going to run XP.
I'm going to try 2gb and if I am happy with it I will use the 3rd one as spare.
Thanks for your time!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online