AMD Phenom II x4 940 Temperatures

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

strid12

Hello
I got this CPU
AMD Phenom II x4 940
with Mugen II cooling system
at Idle Everest shows my CPU core temperature is around 40~42 without OCing
all fans on case turn on maximum
I read on the web that it suppose to be around 35
I would like to know if that's true
maybe my Mugen II is installed badly or i got problem with air flow in PC
thanks.

full PC specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 940 CPU
Scythe Mugen II 5 Heat Pipes CPU cooler
ASUS 4890EAH Top GPU
OCZ Blade Edition 2x2GB Memory
ASUS M4A78-EM AM2+ Motherboard
Thermaltake Thoughpower 600W PSU
Antec 900 Two Case
Seagate 750GB 7200 RMP 32MB Sata II Hard Disk

Don't know anything about Scythe Mugen II 5 Coolers.

An AMD cooler on an X4 like that is about mid 30s...

Case air flow isn't a problem.

ASUS motherboards (YOu should put "ASUS" before the model # - it will help) - tend to show a 10degrees higher than what it really is.

Thats a very nice setup - the case is designed with performance in mind rather than looks. However it does have adjustable fan speed controls for the front, back and top fans and it is these that i ask you to check first as to what setting you have them on - please let us know on this thread.

With regards to the cpu cooler - you should check that it is installed properly if you have any doubts.

strid12

Don't know anything about Scythe Mugen II 5 Coolers.

An AMD cooler on an X4 like that is about mid 30s...

Case air flow isn't a problem.

ASUS motherboards (YOu should put "ASUS" before the model # - it will help) - tend to show a 10degrees higher than what it really is.
Sorry forgot , edited
Motherboard temperatures aren't the problem
i got around 30 at Idle on motherboard
and according to benchmarks Scythe Mugen II suppose to be top cooling system
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/coolers/core-i7-coolers-roundup/103_diagr2_refer-(Xbitlabs).png

Thats a very nice setup - the case is designed with performance in mind rather than looks. However it does have adjustable fan speed controls for the front, back and top fans and it is these that i ask you to check first as to what setting you have them on - please let us know on this thread.

With regards to the cpu cooler - you should check that it is installed properly if you have any doubts.
You see thats another problem all fans are turned to maximum and it makes loud noise
I wanna turn them lower but im afraid it will cause an overheat in heavy games (CPU reaches up to 50-52 in games like Prototype or GTA IV)

That chart is for i7... they run hot.

Anyways... You're running stock speed? 3.0Ghz? You idle temps are okay... but upper 40s is typical for load.

You should be able to run the fans at LOW/MED - they are big fans. Monitor your temps.

Its pretty difficult to mess up installing the HSF onto an AMD CPU. Its on or its not.

You have to properly apply the heat sink compound (Artic Silver) to the CPU. Proper application varies between CPU types. Go to their website for proper application as well as cleaning. If you need to clean the CPU - leave it in the mobo while doing it.

You're not going to get a "quiet" system with such a video card like the 4890, its not a bad card - just high performance cards are on the loud side.

My system, with a single exhaust fan - is about 2 feet from me... its very quiet.

strid12

That chart is for i7... they run hot.

Anyways... You're running stock speed? 3.0Ghz? You idle temps are okay... but upper 40s is typical for load.

You should be able to run the fans at LOW/MED - they are big fans. Monitor your temps.

Its pretty difficult to mess up installing the HSF onto an AMD CPU. Its on or its not.

You have to properly apply the heat sink compound (Artic Silver) to the CPU. Proper application varies between CPU types. Go to their website for proper application as well as cleaning. If you need to clean the CPU - leave it in the mobo while doing it.

You're not going to get a "quiet" system with such a video card like the 4890, its not a bad card - just high performance cards are on the loud side.

My system, with a single exhaust fan - is about 2 feet from me... its very quiet.
Yes , stock speed 3.0Ghz
On medium fan speed Idle reaches about 43-44 ,
but I want to be able to OC in the future and that's why i'm asking
I'm afraid with OC even on max fan speed it will pass the 62C (max for this CPU) on heavy games
What do you suggest me to do

Remove the aftermarket heatsink. clean the CPU with alcohol (carefully) - I use q-tips if nothing better - don't let the strands get caught on anything. Attach the stop CPU.

On that type of case, on a medium setting - your temps shouldn't change.
On an Antec300, I have a single fan running on it (side) and the CPU is low/mid-30s idle/basic use.

I'd admit the CPU is only a dual-core 45w class.

strid12

Remove the aftermarket heatsink. clean the CPU with alcohol (carefully) - I use q-tips if nothing better - don't let the strands get caught on anything. Attach the stop CPU.

On that type of case, on a medium setting - your temps shouldn't change.
On an Antec300, I have a single fan running on it (side) and the CPU is low/mid-30s idle/basic use.

I'd admit the CPU is only a dual-core 45w class.
I'm not expert i won't re-apply it by myself
I'll give it to my friend (he's expert in building PCs) and will come back with results in few days
I just wanted to make sure if the temps are OK or not
Thanks

crjdriver

I have the same cpu [amd 940] and this one is running @36C with smartfan enabled in the bios. With smartfan disabled ie fan at full speed, it runs around 30~32C or so.

Unless you have poor airflow or the system in a cabinet, I would think you need to properly apply the thermal compound.

FWIW I have used arctic silver on some systems and the stock pad on others. I do not really see much difference between A/S and the stock pad however I never OC anything.

strid12

I have the same cpu [amd 940] and this one is running @36C with smartfan enabled in the bios. With smartfan disabled ie fan at full speed, it runs around 30~32C or so.

Unless you have poor airflow or the system in a cabinet, I would think you need to properly apply the thermal compound.

FWIW I have used arctic silver on some systems and the stock pad on others. I do not really see much difference between A/S and the stock pad however I never OC anything.
I'll check the airflow too , even tho I'm pretty sure its fine because GPU (55c in Heavy games), Motherboard and HDD temperatures are fine
btw can it have anything to do with room temp?
my room temperature reaches up to 35c

crjdriver

35C that is 95F :eek::eek: Yes, running the system in a hot room will make it run at a higher temp.

Seriously that is too hot of an ambient temp to be running your system. Turn on the A/C or if no A/C, open the case and place a small fan blowing air into the case. That will help with overheating.

strid12

35C that is 95F :eek::eek: Yes, running the system in a hot room will make it run at a higher temp.

Seriously that is too hot of an ambient temp to be running your system. Turn on the A/C or if no A/C, open the case and place a small fan blowing air into the case. That will help with overheating.
I live in Israel and in hot days its 40c outside here :)

crjdriver

I live in Israel and in hot days its 40c outside here :)
I was based in Palm Springs CA for 13 years. During Jun, July, Aug, and Sept, the high for the day would reach 115F or so on avg. A really hot day would be 122F. At least at night it would cool off to 85-90F :eek::eek:

An Antec900 has lots of air flow, opening th case won't help.

If its fans can't move air, it'd be a useless case.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online