AMD Phenom X3 8600 or Athlon X2 7850

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Harutmaru

I was wondering if anyone could help me which one to get.

I'm most likely gonna use the PC that im building now for MMORPG's.

I got a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 (rev 1x)
It's the oldest of the lot i know >.< coz i got it ages ago and forgot that i bought it, anyway, I had a look at the compatible processors for it and what i can actually afford. So i got to conclusion to either get the Phenom X3 8600 or Athlon X2 7850.

Just additional info's that might be of use.
The main reason i'm building this pc is so i can play Dragon Nest and Eden Eternal and some other 3D MMORPG's.

Thanks in advance,
Harutmaru

Triple6

First Name
Rob
What is your budget for the processor? What sites are you getting your prices from?

Harutmaru

I got a £50 budget for the processor and i got my prices from google shopping xD

Harutmaru

Yeah, Thanks. I actually dont mind buying used once, as long as they come with the fan xD but what better(that the ones i mentioned) processors do you reckon i could get for my budget? i mean have you got any suggestions?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
A Phenom II would be a better choice: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/CPUs-/367...ards_CPUs&_sc=1&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538
Or an Athlon II X2 260 or higher Athlon II: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/CPUs-/367...therboards_CPUs&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538
The only downside is that the BIOS version must be F5B or higher for most of the newer processors.

The Athlon X3 8600 and Phenom X2 7850 are both obsolete products, I guess someone might have them new but I figured they would have been used which is why I suggested used. The X3 8600 isn't a bad choice, it competes decently with the Athlon II X2 2xx series processors just an older design.

Harutmaru

I just found out that if i put an AMD AM3/AM2+ processor on my motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 to HT1.0 but the frequency of the AM2+ frequency wont be affected.

So, do you think i should just stick to an AM2 processor?

Triple6

First Name
Rob
Its up to you, you might be able to get a faster older processor for less money.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online