1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD Phenom X3 8600 or Athlon X2 7850

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harutmaru, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Harutmaru

Harutmaru Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone could help me which one to get.

I'm most likely gonna use the PC that im building now for MMORPG's.

I got a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 (rev 1x)
    It's the oldest of the lot i know >.< coz i got it ages ago and forgot that i bought it, anyway, I had a look at the compatible processors for it and what i can actually afford. So i got to conclusion to either get the Phenom X3 8600 or Athlon X2 7850.

Just additional info's that might be of use.
    The main reason i'm building this pc is so i can play Dragon Nest and Eden Eternal and some other 3D MMORPG's.

Thanks in advance,
    Harutmaru

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What is your budget for the processor? What sites are you getting your prices from?

3. Harutmaru

Harutmaru Thread Starter

I got a £50 budget for the processor and i got my prices from google shopping xD

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The X3 8600 is faster than the X2 7850 according to this: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+8600+Triple-Core

But I think you could probably find a faster and newer Athlon II or Phenom II for less, especially if you are looking at used parts as both the parts you list are about 3 years old so I'm not sure if they are new(unused) or used processors.

5. Harutmaru

Harutmaru Thread Starter

Yeah, Thanks. I actually dont mind buying used once, as long as they come with the fan xD but what better(that the ones i mentioned) processors do you reckon i could get for my budget? i mean have you got any suggestions?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A Phenom II would be a better choice: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/CPUs-/367...ards_CPUs&_sc=1&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538
    Or an Athlon II X2 260 or higher Athlon II: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/CPUs-/367...therboards_CPUs&_sop=2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538
    The only downside is that the BIOS version must be F5B or higher for most of the newer processors.

The Athlon X3 8600 and Phenom X2 7850 are both obsolete products, I guess someone might have them new but I figured they would have been used which is why I suggested used. The X3 8600 isn't a bad choice, it competes decently with the Athlon II X2 2xx series processors just an older design.

7. Harutmaru

Harutmaru Thread Starter

I just found out that if i put an AMD AM3/AM2+ processor on my motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 to HT1.0 but the frequency of the AM2+ frequency wont be affected.

So, do you think i should just stick to an AM2 processor?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its up to you, you might be able to get a faster older processor for less money.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice