AMD Phenom?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
It is suppose to be on par or a little below the lower-end Intel quad's like the q6600.As far as performance, but I do like the price. I was think of building a rig here in the next couple of month's with one of those as the cpu and the ATI 3870 gfx's card.

num

what mainboard should i use (one that can be overclocked) to use with that cpu?

I'd have to do a little research to be on point for which board would be good price/performance. But heres a review that can give you a better since of where the cpu stands.Take a look at what board they're using.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2226939,00.asp

EDIT:
The one they're using(expensive) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131224&Tpk=ASUS+M3A32-MVP+Deluxe
Here a step down MOBO the featured one on top http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=20&name=Motherboards

Amd's 790FX looks like a pretty solid chipset, I haven't used it yet though. If you want to spend the money on that I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

num

I don't think the Amd's 790FX is out yet, I heard it was going to be sometime next year. I will just stick with phenom for now

Triple6

Rob
If you are getting a Phenom processor and plan on overclocking then the AMD 700's series chipset is the way to go. Its a solid platform, especially if you wait and pick one up with the newer AMD SB700 southbridge. AMD is offering an overclocking utility for this platform called AMD OverDrive that can overclock most features of the mainboard and processor, including overclocking each individual core separately. Here's the utility: http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_15337_15354_15359,00.html

Triple6

Rob
Yes, thats one of the boards. DFI and Asus also have AMD 790FX boards out.

As someone who has sold AMD for the past 6+ years, all my computers are AMD powered CPU - these current Phenom CPUs, while FASTER than the previous AMD64 CPUs (by clock per core speed), the top end Phenom just touches a mid-range C2D chip at about the same price. There is a design bug in the current chips that is also costing a 10~50% peformance loss. So perhaps next Springs revised (Stepping) of the Phenom will fix these problems.

Want to get more for your money, get a C2D now... Intel's strangle hold on the market has hurt AMD's R&D abilities. ie: Dell starts selling AMD systems just when intel finally shipped a CPU that wasn't so slow. Keep in mind, the older Netburst design (Pentium D / 4) was far slower than AMD 64 than AMD64/Phenom is to the Core2Duo.

As someone who has sold AMD for the past 6+ years, all my computers are AMD powered CPU - these current Phenom CPUs, while FASTER than the previous AMD64 CPUs (by clock per core speed), the top end Phenom just touches a mid-range C2D chip at about the same price. There is a design bug in the current chips that is also costing a 10~50% peformance loss. So perhaps next Springs revised (Stepping) of the Phenom will fix these problems.

Want to get more for your money, get a C2D now... Intel's strangle hold on the market has hurt AMD's R&D abilities. ie: Dell starts selling AMD systems just when intel finally shipped a CPU that wasn't so slow. Keep in mind, the older Netburst design (Pentium D / 4) was far slower than AMD 64 than AMD64/Phenom is to the Core2Duo.
Interesting stuff, thanxs for the headups. (y)

Yeah... its too bad that intel's C2D didn't come out for another 1-2 years, AMD's market growth was expanding rapidly (there were CPU shortages), meaning more competition from a stronger AMD (R&D funding, etc)...

The intel fanboys yell for the blood of AMD - which is foolish. Their $200 C2D chips would be easily $1000 and nowhere NEAR as fast as they are today. If there was NO AMD. WE'd all be using $1000 pentium 4 and maybe at 3ghz... dual core, of course not. Our PCs would be about $2000 still for a basic system - like they were in the 90s.

2007 - $50 gets you an AMD dual core 2.0Ghz CPU
1997 - $500 got you a 66Mhz Pentium 1 CPU that is 100x slower.

The intel fanboys yell for the blood of AMD - which is foolish.
I doubt that most Intel "fanboys" are yelling for AMD blood, at least not the ones that understand open markets.

AMD dug their own hole when they purchased ATI and had that 5+ billion dollar albatross around their neck that they are trying to pay off which seriously slowed down their R & D.

AMD recently sold an 8.1% interest in the company to a company in the United Arab Emirates for 622 million for operating capital. Maybe, with this cash infusion they can get back in the game.

On various boards, there are rabid intel fanboys (as there are AMDers of course) - that "think" that AMD being killed off would be great. In my mind, they are just mad that AMD had the better CPU for the past 5+ years (Since the P4 first came out), nothing more. I and others have tried to state that it was a BAD THING.

Well - ATI has made some money... but currently, combined both are worth less than $5billion. I don't see their R&D being slowed down as their work on the K8/K10 65n developers were in place before the purchase. ATI has added some abilities that AMD needed... a solid Chipset, etc that some PC manufactures perfer (intel CPU + intel chipset) and having an AMD CPU + chipset + GPU is a powerful package. It was Core2Duo that did AMD in... even thou for the AVG user, the difference between a dual core AMD and C2D is not very noticable. But the phrase "Intel is faster" has done the damage.

I like the article I read that AMD is in a position to be bought, easily. From the likes of Nvidia or Samsung. Samsung is one of the largest companies in the world and both would benifit...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online