1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD Processor and RAM Upgrade to ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by exceller, Nov 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

My Processor is a AMDTK55HAX4DC 1.8MHz S1 Socket (Laptop)

From my searches this is now not listed as current.
    Any suggestions which of the current AMD processor range I could use and speed is not the essence.

Also my current RAM is '512MB 2Rx16 PC2-5300S'

I have 2 slots, one has a faulty retaining clip. Could I use only one slot and fit the Max. RAM the M/board will allow of 4GB such as a single 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 or a 4GB DDR2 PC2-5300. Or must I use both slots.

thanks

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You didn't list your motherboard model so I can't advise on a better CPU.

Depending on what is wrong with the faulty retaining clip you could use the slot, or not. If it is simply broken so it doesn't clip onto the end of your RAM module, but the RAM module is fully seated in the socket, go ahead and use it as-is.

If it is broken in a way that prevents the RAM module from plugging in properly, well then can't use that slot.

If your motherboard supports dual channel mode it would be better to use two slots.

3. exceller

exceller Thread Starter

thanks

The board is an Acer ICY70 and yes it does use Dual channels.

The RAM does not seat in its slot as a PC would pushing into slot till they click in place, they are fitted into the slot then pressed sideways/down to the clips as if the slot spring loads against the RAM sides.

It is because a clip is faulty that a RAM stick will not stay attached, hence going for a single larger capacity RAM.

thanks

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

OK I understand what type of RAM slot you have now and agree the bad one shouldn't be used.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880941