1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD ryzen2 motherboards - need help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by potato573, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. potato573

potato573 Thread Starter

So yesterday i ordered a 2600x, some 2x4gb sticks of kingston hyperx fury RAM and an MSI Tomahawk b350 AM4 motherboard and today i found out that you need some king of a 2000 series-ready motherboard..
    So my question is; will my system boot with the 2600x in this motherboard?
    I did kind of google this question i have and no obvious anwsers came up, however some anwsers said that i would need a first gen. cpu just to boot the system and do a BIOS update fot the 2nd gen. CPUs. so that i can then use the 2600x on this motherboard..
    So what is the conclusion?
    is all of the above true? or will my system just boot up normaly?

2. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  3. potato573

potato573 Thread Starter

Thank you for the help!

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It all depends on which Bios the motherboard comes with, if it's an older one then it may not boot with the 2600x cpu. You will just have to wait until the parts arrive and see if it boots or not.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

IMO you would be better off returning the board and going with an x470 chipset board.
    No one can give you a definitive answer. It may boot and it may not. My guess [and it is only a guess] is that the system will not POST.
    When you go from a cpu within a family ie summit ridge to another summit ridge, the board will often boot. When you change cpu family ie from summit ridge to pinnacle ridge, then it very often will not POST.

Up to you if you want to try however do understand that by opening the bag and installing the motherboard, you may affect your ability to return the board. At the very least, check with the seller.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

8. potato573

potato573 Thread Starter

Thank you both for the help! @managed @crjdriver
    I will contact the store i ordered it from.. if they say it is compatible i will keep it but if its not i will just buy a different one..
    @crjdriver you did get me thinking of what i could purchase for around the same amount of money for what the tomahawk costs with that suggestion of just choosing a different motherboard..
    I thought about buying this one -------> https://www.newegg.com/global/si/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145060
    But if my supplier will say that it is compatible with the 2nd. gen. CPUs it makes no sense to buy the GIGABYTE MOBO.. Now sure it is better looking then the tomahawk but it has no significant performance advantages over the tomahawk as far as i can tell..
    I watched this video on youtube comparing all the AM4 chipsets in 7 different games.. there was no differnece at all in FPS accept in one game(call of duty WW2).

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is a HUGE difference between those two boards;
    1 Better chipset on the gigabyte board.
    2 Better audio on the gigabyte board
    3 The LAN on the gigabyte board is an intel lan. The msi has the cheaper realtek lan
    4 The gigabyte board has dual bios. msi a single bios
    In short, you are comparing a yugo to a Cadillac.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  11. potato573

potato573 Thread Starter

comparing a yugo to a cadillac.. but how? i did some research and all i learned from it is that the x470 has overall better build quality, support for storeMI and it also said that the x470 chipset is better tuned to handle 2nd-gen Ryzen’s higher clock speeds, theoretically resulting in a potential performance boost. but it also said ''don’t expect miracles though'' so my point is that there is little to no difference in in-game performance judging by the fps numbers in the video i posted in my previous anwser..
    And i dont really fancy the dual bios since i have a 7 year old potato of a pc
    Current pc specs:
    -intel celeron G530 CPU
    -asus p8h61-mx motherboard
    -sapphire r7 370 GPU
    -kingston hyperx savage 240gb SSD
    -GDDR5 4gb RAM
    -lcpower 500w PSU
    I have the windows 7 home premium OS on it and in 7 years i never used an antivirus and never had problems with the bios so i think there's no need for the dual bios...
    I am happy with my pc but the only flaw it has is that it sucks at gaming so that's why i ordered the new cpu, ram, mobo.
    I only got 2 viruses in 7 years without an antivirus and i got them only because i downloaded some games that work with Utorrent and they just rekt my OS and i just reinstalled it and everything was fine again.

So these are the sound quality specs of my current mobo:
    ''The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output and jack-detect feature that automatically detects and identifies what types of peripherals are plugged into the audio I/O jacks and notifies users of inappropriate connection, which means there will be no more confusion of Line-in, Line-out, and Mic jacks.''

I don't know how the quality of my current setup would compare to the b350 tomahawk's audio quality or how the tomahawk's audio would compare to the GIGABYTE x470 aorus audio..
    So im just wondering if there would be eny significant difference between my current 7 year old asus board's audio and an x470's audio..
    I went for the 2600x because i think it offers the most value for it's price and also i think the same for the tomahawk.. but i may consider buying a 470x for under 170euros so i would be more then happy if you could tell me whitch x470 mobo is the best value currently on newegg?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Already explained to you. I left out the biggest difference; gigabyte is a quality mfg. MSI not so much; at best msi is a mid-level mfg in terms of quality.
    It is up to you. Either take a chance that your processor/board will POST or purchase a quality board that you know works.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!