1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

amd socket

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chippynut, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

I am realy puzzled, why as the AM3 sockets got 941 contacts and the am3 cpu 938 i am thinking of a new am3 board and read on wikapeda that some one tried to remove some pins and it did not work, can i just buy any am3 cpu, Thanks for any help.

2. FijiJohn

FijiJohn

To understand exactly why a socket has the number of pins it has, you would need to get the lead engineer who developed it very drunk. Check your motherboard specs to see what CPUs will work with it. Most combos will work, but not all. (Don't ask how I know that for a fact.)

3. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, Motherboard and cpu are in fact both AM3 sockets but as i said in my post i came accross a silly thing that had come from Toms hardware, some sort of reviue web site, i got to this via wikapedea, i have not orderd the mboard or cpu yet and do not want to find i have two uncompatable components, all i get from sellers is they are both AM3 and should fit and on looking further found that the pin and socket numbers are not the same, Thank you for your effort and time.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there. That could possibly be caused by AMD thinking ahead.

Socket AM2+ can support. AM2 CPU's and AM3 CPU's. If AM3 can support AM3 CPU's and AMD planned to have it also support the newer AM3+ or AM4 CPU's then they may have extra pin holes available for that. That's the only reason I can think of.

5. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

Thanks, you are a better thinker than me, the problem would have been if the cpu had more pins than the mother board had holes to take them, i must have been asleep,

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice