1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD vs. Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jballou, Nov 22, 2001.

?

Which is better AMD or Intel processors (performance, cost, reliability)

1. AMD

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Intel

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jballou

Jballou Thread Starter

Which is better AMD or Intel (consider price reliability and performance)

2. deuce

deuce

Well these are dangerous grounds... but I will have to say I personally perfer Intel, but as far as price goes, AMD is cheaper. As far as reliability goes, Intel is better, but because you pay for it. As far as performance goes, it depends on what you use it for. AMD is much easier to overclock, but is much much harder to cool. AMD seems to be more of a gamers choice and some say that a 1.4 Ghz AMD is the same as a 1.5 GHZ Intel... it really just depends. I go for quality, reliability, long use, and peace (I don't like a jet engine as a computer as what commonly happens with AMD) so I go Intel. If you are into upgrading when each new processor comes out then AMD is your cpu because you can stay ontop of the market and not have to put down a lot of $$... just AMD doesn't last in my opinion.

3. AtreideS

AtreideS

Deuce is right when he says some gamers prefer AMD. As a gamer I'm looking for speed and a good price. I dont know about in other countries, but here in Australian the is a significant price difference between AMD and Intel. AMD is quite a bit cheaper. As a gamer, im probably going to have to upgrade it after a while anyway. So Deuces opinion that the AMD doesnt last doesnt really apply to me. It think AMD and Intel both make great problems. I also think Intel dominated the market for to long, now its good to see the prices drop thanks to some friendly competition from AMD.
    My personal opinion is that the AMD provides slightly better performance for cost than the Intel. But both intel and AMD are great buys.

4. brianF

brianF

Amd, cheap, faster, need more tweaking and good cooling.

Intel, more expensive, little slower performance, more stable

my two cents

As I game the next machine I build will be amd, love to overclock

5. Jballou

Jballou Thread Starter

I'm in the process of building a computer for gaming. I chose an AMD athlon 1ghz. I find it an extremely good buy for about $75
    (www.newegg.com)
    try this site, drops the cost of all hardware and some software considerably

I'm just interested to see other people's opinions

6. deuce

deuce

I you are into gaming, then you might want AMD. What I was saying about how AMD doesn't seem to last doesn't matter because it is cheap enought to upgrade often. (like AtreideS said) However AMD isn't quite at 2 Ghz yet, but you can't really use all of that on a pc anyway.

7. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

AMD. Specifically AMD Athlon XPs. Abit KR7Z-Raid Moterboard.

The only thing you have to worry about with AMD is heat problems frying your processor.

As soon as AMD motherboards Implement proper Thermal Diode detection and monitoring for the New AMDs, and AMD provides better protection from crack cores, there would be really no reason to go with intel, but by then there will be something new out from intel and AMD.

As of right now, going with AMD provides a better upgrade in the future.

8. Jballou

Jballou Thread Starter

I don't know about some other motherboards, but I recently bought a k7t266 pro2 motheerboard and it includes a program that monitors temperature of your CPU and motherboard. It also monitors your fan speed and power consumption. If any go abnormal it pops up and notifies you.

9. deuce

deuce

Yeah that software is good to have and it can automatically shutdown your computer if something goes wrong, but your bois can do it to. I have mine set to shut down at 60C (I don't know why so low but I only hit it once) and so the one time I have gotten that hot it went into hibernation. Saves entire session to disk and shuts everything off, and so when I turned it back on I was back to where I was before it shut off. It was kinda nice because I didn't know about the hibernation feature. :)

10. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

deuce

how do you set it so your system shuts down if it gets too hot?

I have an AMD and on accasion it overheats, it usually starts crashing a lot but it would be nice to have it shutdown before it gets to this stage.

:)

11. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

You need to stop it from overheating in the first place.

12. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Yes Max, I know that. I just think that having something to alert me when it is starting to overheat would be very helpful.
    It doesn't do it on a daily basis.

13. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

The point is that your computer should never overheat in the first place. Rather than looking for a way for your computer to shut off before overheating, you should be looking for a way to prevent it from overheating in the first place. I've never owned a computer that overheated once. It's not normal computer behavior.

14. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

Not normal computer behaviour, but isn't it one of the downsides of having an AMD? It does need more cooling and can overheat.
    I have two internal fans but if it is running for a long time then that is when I have the problem.

15. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

If you are familar with the Tom's Hardware incident and Ars Technica.....

If you happen to take your heatsink off on the XP while it is running(no reason why you would do it) or if the fan quits, then your cpu will still fry because of the thermal diode not be supported. However like you all said all the other ways of monitoring and safety still work.

Once the motherboards support it, it will be like the P4 with the throttling, but instead of throttling it will shutoff the whole system.

With that new safety feature and all the old ways of fan rpm monitoring and plain old temp monitoring there would be no reason to go to intel.

:cool:

If you want the links, I can post them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice