1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD vs Pentium, opinions......

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Chili_Palmer, Jan 11, 2002.

Advertisement
  1. Chili_Palmer

Chili_Palmer Thread Starter

I personally believe that AMD processors will wipe the floor with P3/4's of the same speed simply due to AMD's greater FSB speed. Perhaps i am misinformed. If so please correct me and why.

-CP

2. Rikku

Rikku

I'm not going to get into Intel vs. AMD but to clarify, the difference in 'processing power' has more to do with the ability to do more work (process more instructions) per clock cycle than FSB speed.

AMD's processors can get more work done in a shorter amount of time......

3. Chili_Palmer

work per cycle makes sense for the "speed" issue. But if, for example, a 1 GHz AMD was pitted against a 1 GHz P4, why is the AMD able to do more work per cycle (that is the definition of a Hz isnt it?) why would both have the same clock speed?

-CP

4. Rikku

Rikku

Hz stands for 'cycles per second'.

How many instructions can be processed per cycle is completely dependant on what architecture is inside the processor.

And different instructions can take longer to process than others. But very simply, if a processor could process 2 instructions per clock cycle vs. a processor that could only process 1 instruction per clock cycle, then a 1000mhz processor could be equally as fast as a 2000mhz processor.

Of course its way more complicated than that, but you get the idea :D

5. Chili_Palmer

Now i understand what you are saying. I actually do know how processors are made from silicon wafers doped with phosphous or boron, just had a class on it last semester (why a civil eng major has to take 400 level chem courses ill never understand) so i have a "feel" for how the processors can easily be inherently different in their structures. I would fing it interesting to learn how AMD accomplishes the ability for their processors to do more work per cycle, but maybe im wandering too far into the realm of chemical/electrical/computer engineers.

From here maybe ill just move on to asking personal preference for processors. Experiences members have had with each, good or bad. Thanks for the crash course Rikku :D

-CP

6. Mulderator

Mulderator

Speed isn't the only issue either, obviously, and this debate has raged here before. I think Bryan (one of the mods) always ends up defending the AMD as his processor of choice :)

7. kramnnim

kramnnim

In a desktop I'd root for AMD, but in a notebook...the Athlon4 is still running at 100mhz FSB, while the P3 Tuatalin is 133mhz, and has a bigger L2 cache...

8. Trboy13

Trboy13

ok, i've done alot of looking into on this subject, looking at benchmarks and reading things from all sorts of places. The Biggest difference between an Athlon and P4 is the instructions per clock cycle. According to Amd's web site the athlons have 9 ipc(instructions per cycle) whereas the pentium 4s only have 6 ipc, (the p3s only had 5). Therefore the athlons can do alot more in the same amout of time. Athlons cant be faster because of bus speed because p4s have a 400mhz bus whereas athlons have only up to 266mhz. I really dont know much about the L1 and L2 cache and what they do, so there might be more, but i dont know. But anyways, i wouldn't buy a pentium for any reason(right now atleast) because the amd xps and the p4 are simmilar in power, and yet the amd chips are all less expensive. Plus, intel seems to be a giant, and is very much like microsoft in a monopoly, so i would rather support AMD.

9. JimmyV

JimmyV

Here we go again...

10. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

I'll just post my preference, which is AMD.

The only Pentium I ever owned was a 166 Mhz way back, but I do like the fact that there are two chip manufacturers.

It's always better when it's a buyer's market!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice