1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD X2 3800+ memory question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimboy, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimboy

jimboy Thread Starter

I have installed 4 1gb pc3200 dual channel in my board and when I check the memory in bios, it says I only have 3.5gb memory. Same in windows when I check in my computer. Is my processor only supports up to 3.5gb? And why is it that my 400ddr becomes 333ddr. Is it because that I can't get 400mhz when I installed 1gb pr slot in my memory bank? If I did 4 512mb 400mhz pr slot then I can get 2gb 400mhz?

I have put 4 1gb 400mhz dual channel in my memory bank and I have a x2 3800+ processor. Pls help tnx.

2. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

What motherboard do you have? Maybe there is a limit to 3.5 gb of ram. I doubt you'll have onbaord video, comsidering you have got four gigs of ram. The reason your ram goes to 333mhz is because of the fact that that is all your motherboard can handle. It would not switch, unless one of your ram types is 333mhz, which shouldnt work in the first place, although it may, idk ive never tried. Now i got a question for you, whay do you need 4gbs of ram?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its common that when you fill all banks on an Athlon64 motherboard that it drops down to 333Mhz. Its a precaution as some A64's have trouble with all banks full.

I'd suggest you update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version and then enter the BIOS setup and manually set the memory speed to 400Mhz.

4. jimboy

jimboy Thread Starter

I am just trying to maximized my pc's performance and be ready for vista. And also to play some 3d games I have such as spellforce 2.

I just want to maximized my system so that I won't be upgrading very soon.

My pc is reading 3.5gb 333mhz and I've heard this problem before. What abt my other 512 MB that is missing? Can I recover that in windows. I just updated my bios and still it won't read as 4gb. I've heard that my current processor only supports up to 3.5gb. Is it true? Is there a patch that can read my full mem or we wait for another processor to come. :D

5. jimboy

jimboy Thread Starter

There is a program included in my motherboard named easytune that you can overclock everything such as cpu, memory, agp, pci etc but that is new to me that is why I am not bothering to use that. Now in bios, if I changed the 333Mhz to 400, will it be safe? It won't fry my mobo :confused: And also in that page in bios there is an option (HT) and my settings were in 4x. the max is 5x. Should I bother to maxed it out at 5x?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You won't fry anything by changing it back to 400Mhz. You can set the HT multiplier to 5X. EasyTune is for overclocking, not quite waht you want to do.

As for recovering the 512MB memory see if there is an option for Memory Remapping in the BIOS. ALso contact Gigabyte and see if they can provide a work around.

FYI, 4GB of memory is overkill.

7. dcrabby

dcrabby

your RAM issues are WIN XP related, if you are using the 32-bit version, because it doesn't support PAE (Physical Address Extension) mode. Issues occur when you have more than about 3GB RAM.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The memory reading 3.5 gig is a common problem. As I recall it is a limitation of the nforce chipset. The displayed amount of memory will vary somewhat.

I doubt that a bios update will do anything for the displayed size of the memory. The downclocking has been addressed by many board mfg with a bios update.

9. jimboy

jimboy Thread Starter

ok guys thanks for all your reply. This will what I'm gonna do. Since easytune is windows base, it won't effect any settings in bios. So in bios, I will try to change my HT from 4x maxed it out to 5x thn leave the other options such as memory timings cas etc.

Now in windows, using easy tune, I would like to overclock my FSB using that program. Does any of you guys, knows how to use it. I mean, I am planning to use the advance mode in easy tune then pick linear mode, meaning as I move the FSB up, so does the memory freq, agp, pci etc also goes up automatically.

By overclocking my processor to 2.4Ghz, the memory frequency will automatically be going to 200 x2 = 400mhz. Is is safe to assume that I can use this program to try to change the mhz of my memory back in 400? Does anyone has any experience using this program?

BTW, in windows when I click properties in my computer it says 3.5ghz physical address extension. Meaning? :confused: so I can't recover my 512MB that is missing is that so?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some of those utilities do modify the BIOS settings.

11. jimboy

jimboy Thread Starter

tnx for the help guys :) (y)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice