1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD XP 1800 Question when Buying

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WaRe, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

Ok my question is what is the difference between these 2:

AMD ATHLON XP 1800+ 1.533GHz 1533Mhz OEM Socket A Palamino CPU
    AX1800DMT3C
    $153.99
    AMD Unveils New AMD Athlon™ XP Processor; Drives Initiative to Develop New Processor Performance Metric
    Add to Cart

AMD ATHLON XP 1800+ 1.533GHz 1533Mhz Retail Box Socket A Palamino CPU
    AXP1800BOX
    $249.99
    AMD Unveils New AMD Athlon™ XP Processor; Drives Initiative to Develop New Processor Performance Metric. Retail Box comes with AMD direct Heatsink and fan AND 3 YR Direct Warranty

Obvioulsy the retail has a 3 year warrenty and a heat sink but i am getting a custom one (heat sink that is) but is there a differnce between OEM and Retail?

I need to make sure the OEM will fit my motherboard rather then the Retail (big price difference). I am getting the Abit KR7a Raid Board, the new one.

Thanks
    Dennis

2. slipe

slipe

Make sure the seller gives you some guarantee on the OEM without a restock fee. 60 days is plenty to get the system together and sorted out. If it works for a month it will likely work until it is obsolete if you get a decent fan/heatsink. I don’t think the guarantee is worth the extra money.

If Abit says it will take that processor the OEM will fit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65164

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice