1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMD XP 1900+ (1.6GHZ) Temp Threshold

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Godzilha82, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Godzilha82

Godzilha82 Thread Starter

I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the safe operating temperature zone is for an AMD XP 1900+. Mine usually runs between 65-69 Degrees, and I'm not overclocking. I've searched the net to no avail. Anyone?

Thanks
    Godzilha82

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If this is degrees C, you need to invest in a better heatsink! If you already have a quality heatsink, you probably don't have it installed properly, or the thermal compound isn't doing it's job of transferring heat from the processor to the heatsink. Anything above 60C is cause for alarm if the system is idling, that's for sure! :eek:

3. Godzilha82

Thanks John, I'll try reinstalling it with some heatsink compound. Could you recommend a good one?

Thanks

Trevor

4. mtbird

mtbird

5. Godzilha82

Thanks alot, Debe! I'll get some ASAP!

Trevor

6. mtbird

mtbird

Glad to be of help :) If you aren't familiar with the product and application, be sure to read their instructions on the website. It doesn't take very much !

Debe

7. Godzilha82

Thanks Debe, I will....OK...Now does anyone know of any good freeware that is an accurate measure of the CPU temp? I'm monitoring my temp with the Gigabyte BIOS utility that came with my board. I just want to check its accuracy. Incidentally, AMD says that the max operating temp for this CPU (AMD XP 1900+) is 95 degrees, so at 65-69, do I really need to be worried?

Godzilha82

8. mtbird

mtbird

Can't really help you with the monitoring program, but I can give you my experience with temps.
    You're running rather hot. I never go by what AMD recommends :rolleyes: with higher temps, you must then be concerned with adequate ventilation throughout your case. Then with adding more fans, you have to be concerned with an adequate PSU. It's the domino effect.........not even considering that higher temps will shorten the life of your processor.

I can tell you that I build a lot of systems using AMD processors and the temps I get are not that high. I just finished a system using that same processor and the temp (under load) was only 50C. I only use Artic Silver as a thermal compound.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can jump in here and give their imput :)

Debe

9. Godzilha82

Thanks again for your advice Debe....I'm going to procure some Arctic Thermal compound and see if that helps. Incidentally, what heatsink are you using? I'm using a Thermaltake Volcano 6Cii. Is this a good one or should I upgrade? As far as fans I have 5. 2 on the power supply (front and back), 1 in the lower front end, 1 on the GPU, 1 on the CPU. I'm running a 350W power supply that came with the Antec Case. Does this sound adequate? Also, I am running a full gig of RAM because I'm a photographer, and Photoshop loves alot of RAM. Could this be a contributor to the high temps?

Thanks,
    Trevor

10. mtbird

mtbird

Trevor....
    I see nothing wrong with your heatsink.....I've used them myself.
    As far as the fans go.......you should have the fan in front positioned to pull air into the case and then have another directly in the back to pull the hot air out.
    The 350 watt PSU is the minimum that I use in systems. You should be fine with that. If you plan on adding more hardware in the future, then I would consider something more.
    As for the applications you run......the more your system is under load ( running multiple apps, etc.), the more heat will be generated.
    I would try the Artic Silver and see if it will bring those temps down a bit. It's very important to thoroughly clean off the old thermal compound before applying the new.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Debe

11. E-Quality

E-Quality

I think this is a good thread for me to go with.

I have AMD Xp 2000+, 350 Watt PS the heat for the system (case) is (40-44 C) and CPU is (50-55 C). Is this consider hot enuf?

The heat will goes up a bit if I did CD to CD copy or watching VCD.

I have only 1 exhausive rear fan so far and thinking of getting one to pull air in this weekend.

Can anyone recommend a good case fan for me? Is hydro power fan good ?

I do not remember the name of the software you can use to detect the heat of ur system but I found it in www.PCWorld.com. You can check it out. The setup is not that straight forward but if you have time to play with then you are fine.

Thanks

EQ

12. computerwiz5

computerwiz5

Well.. I'm not using artic silver because i dont overclock and i dont think its really gonna matter. I have the sicone coumpound that came with my volcano 7+. The reason why it came wiht the heat sink is to be used. But, when i applied the silocone coumpound i didnt put it on the heatsink i put it on the CPU i guees that is ok. The artic silver manuel said not to do that. So i am a little worried. I have turned it on because i am still buliding the computer. And when i sat the heatsink didnt automaticlly touch the heatsink, but i gues it did when i secured it with the clips on the side.

If you can please give me feed back.

Danny

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's all digital past the temperature sensor, any other sensor program will get the same numbers. The real issue is how accurate the actual sensor is, but you'll need some test equipment to properly measure the true temperature at the same point, and I don't know if you can even get to it under the socket.

14. Godzilha82

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to reply. I went and got some of the Artic Silver Compound with the intent of applying it and then checking the results. But, I couldn't get my motherboard to come out and I didn't want to "force it" so I'm taking my machine to a repair shop to apply the compound. I also discovered that my system fan is shot so between the two problems that will be fixed early next week, I'm betting I'll be running a good 10-15 degrees cooler. I'll post next week with the results.

Thanks again
    Trevor

15. Godzilha82

Hey Everyone;

Well, as promised, I went and had some Artic Silver thermal compound put on my CPU core and I also replaced my system fan. The machine is running cooler but only by a little bit. Instead of running from 65-69 Degrees C its now in the low 60's. I haven't seen it go above 65 yet but thats probably still a little hot. Anyone got anymore ideas?

Thanks,
    Trevor:cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice