1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

American laptop in australia

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JimboBagins35, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimboBagins35

JimboBagins35 Thread Starter

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, you could probably find the correct power adapter and just plug it in.

But you certainly do not want just an adapter that converts the socket types because Australian power is 240 volts/50 Hz and that would just burn out your machine.

I'm sure that a computer shop down-under would have the correct adapter for you to use as a normal adapter, thus preventing any errors of connecting that would lead to destruction.

Even my small, local computer shop has a whole wall of laptop power supplies. I think you'll find one easily.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most laptops have adapters that support both voltages and auto adjust based on the input. All you need is either one of those plug converters for the the Australian wall socket OR replace the power cable that goes from the brick/adapter to the wall; those are interchangeable and really cheap; any local computer will have them as spares.

Example: http://www.google.com.au/products/c...a=X&ei=mPjgTqi6DaTr0gHNrtW6Bw&ved=0CHAQ8wIwAA

4. pcatrocity

pcatrocity

From the reading I've done to use that laptop in Australia you will need a power converter that plugs into Australian power.

If you have not bought it yet, I would recommend buying a laptop setup for Australia from the factory.
    As well as a power converter that plugs into USA power.

Otherwise, you will lugging that power converter the rest of your life outside the USA

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As already mentioned most laptop adapters can run on 100-240Volts and 50-60Hz which covers just about everywhere. It will be written on the adaptor. You just need the correct plug to fit your wall socket.

6. Glennabilly

Glennabilly

Try Dick Smith I bought mine there it works world wide a bit chunky but will work UK USA NZ & I hope China I recharge batteries run laptop works fine. Glenn

7. Glennabilly

Glennabilly

I would not leave home without mine. Glenn

8. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme

I advise the Medion Akoya X7811- same hardware for half the price of the MSI. Oh- and the same chassis.
    It should work (the power adaptor) if you get a converter.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice