1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

American Megatrends "CPU fan error!"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Takasheen, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Takasheen

Takasheen Thread Starter

Here's the problem: When I start my computer, I'll get a black screen with a bunch of text with "American Megatrends" as the header. The screen is unusual, and on the bottom it says "CPU fan error!, press F1 to continue." If I simply press f1 and ignore it, my computer eventually shuts off, and restarting my computer doesn't get my display back, I have to reset my cmos.

Things that I've tried: Now, I had this problem before, and my computer doesn't have a cmos switch, so I had to take out the battery for a couple minutes, and that worked.
    Today I woke up to have the same problem. Only this time, when I took out the battery and put it back, the problem persisted.
    So I tried entering my system setup and set "CPU fan speed" to ignore, that still did nothing.

So I'm aggravated, annoyed and helpless. Any help would be appreciated.

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

Does the fan actually spin up?

Have you replaced the fan or heatsink recently?

3. Takasheen

Takasheen Thread Starter

Update: I think the "CPU fan error" stopped appearing after I set the fan speed to ignore, but now my computer just shuts off without any other warnings or messages

4. Takasheen

Takasheen Thread Starter

The fan came with the computer, i've been using it since- it works perfectly fine

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

It's possibly the computer thinks it's over-heating and shutting down.

The heatsink may not be making proper contact with the processor. You might want to try removing the heatsink, cleaning off the old thermal paste from both heatsink and processor and re-apply fresh thermal paste.

Make sure the retention bracket is secure, if need be.

6. Takasheen

Takasheen Thread Starter

I uh..Well only the first part of that makes sense to me hahah. Is there any links you can provide as a tutorial showing where the heatsink is and how to reapply paste? Also, is there any way I can make it so my pc doesn't monitor heat or anything so it doesn't shut off?

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

8. Takasheen

Takasheen Thread Starter

I don't have any thermal paste, and I can't wait a few days to get to be able to use my computer- is there any way I can make my computer stop monitoring heat levels so I can ignore the problem until I actually get some paste?

9. Takasheen

Takasheen Thread Starter

Oh, and as a little sidenote, my computer uses two fans, both are powerful, and the one I think giving me problems is mounted on the removable part of the computer's frame

10. Takasheen

Takasheen Thread Starter

Checking again, my computer's heatsink isn't directly connected to a fan. It's small and wing-like and it sits in the middle of the motherboard. If there is a chip behind it, I don't see a way to get to it

11. prunejuice

prunejuice

Can you post a picture, or tell us what computer you have?

12. Takasheen

Takasheen Thread Starter

Alright, so,I got some thermal paste and spent all day applying it and messing around with my computer. Once everything was done, I turned my computer back on, and after a couple minutes, it shut off again. So, back to square one

13. prunejuice

prunejuice

At this point, given that everything was put back together properly, the only other area I would consider is a faulty power supply.

Unless you can temporarily swap in a known working one, I don't have any other suggestion.

14. Takasheen

Takasheen Thread Starter

So i checked in my bios, and apparently I'm running at 170 degrees cpu. Now I have no clue why, but I'm pretty sure that's the cause of my problems. The Thermal paste was applied well btw

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice