1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

AMIBIOS doesn't see new WD HD on cold boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j0n003, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j0n003

j0n003 Thread Starter

Greetings,

For those of you who recognize my name, you'll remember that along with having trouble with getting a "new" Creative CDROM to be seen, I was doing so because I was having mobo troubles with my main box that turned out that it was fried... but not the processor so my main box now has a new American Megatrends mobo. BTB the Creative CDROM was a return (the seal was broken), Wal-Mart gave us back our $, got a real new CDROM and both boxes are running great.

Until, I decided to increase the size of the main box hard drive. It was a WD 13.6G and I wanted an 80 so I could do video editing in one pass instead of in sections. Rendering takes a lot of space. So, I slaved the new to the old and used theWD floppy to set it up. I don't want partitions (nobody's ever given me a good enough reason to) and I was wanting to use PowerQuests Drive Copy to copy the old to the new HD. Little did I know that the WD floppy was going to offer to copy, also. I’ve been told that DriveCopy puts the least amount of junk on a new HD, so I wanted to use it instead of the WD. As soon as the floppy ap would let me close, I did, but not before a Format, which is what DriveCopy does before a copy so it erased what the WD had done. I think:confused:

So, I put my old HD in it's new box w/o problems and it's still working fine. When I moved the new HD into running our main box, the BIOS required three tries of auto detect then esc before it could see it, I saved the settings and went to Windows w/o trouble. I am continuing to have this recognition problem from a cold boot. Warm boots are ok, I suppose because the settings are not lost, I guess. But, they go with a shutdown. Is there a way to make this more stable? My wife doesn't want to be bothered with or understand the way to go to BIOS and auto detect.

Win98SE, 512Ram, AMD Athlon 750

Please help.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Moved you to Hardware. Hopefully the folks here may have some suggestions to run by you.

Intermittant detection kind of sounds like a cabling problem, but let's see what the others have to say.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169717

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice