AMLI: ACPI BIOS Error HANGS Please someone help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wasd2k4

Ive been posting this last time but they said to flash my bios but i don't think it is not the bios compatibility because long time ago i we have already installed XP and it doesnt hang. but we just notice the hang only this year

my new hardwares i bought this year:
an AGP ASUS Geforce 2 MX 400 Video Card
512 MB RAM
LiteON 52X24x52 CD-Writer

Memory is not the problem because we have change slots remove RAMs making it single then still XP hangs. It is not the CDWriter because the hanging happened before we bought the CDWriter. I don't know with the video card but i think the error is on the BIOS Setup configuration. Can you help me find it out.

The error is see Event Viewer

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0xcfc), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

What is 0xcfc, 0xcf8, and 0xcff and what are protected address range?

I wouldnt worry too much about that, ive been getting the same messages for 2 years now, i flashed a bios update that they said would make it go away but its still there. My puter freezes up at least once a day but i dont think thats the cause of it. you wont know its there if you never go to error page.LOL

wasd2k4

WHat i need is help... i have reinstalled windows xp but still hangs, i disabled bios shadowing still hangs, i change my RAM still hangs

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Did you reset the BIOS to it's defaults with the MB jumper?

wasd2k4

sorry for not replying because i've installed a new harddisk and installed xp but it still hangs and what is a MB jumper and What are 0xcfc, 0xcf8, and 0xcff and what are protected address range?

wasd2k4

WHen i disabled internal cache i doesnt hang but the computer really becomes slower like playing ut2004 on 486 computer
what is internal cache anyway?

The AMLI (ACPI Machine Language Interface) is dependent on the motherboard and BIOS that supports it. If you have an older version of the ACPI implementation, and a BIOS update doesn't help, you need to reinstall as a Standard Computer (F5 during setup) rather then an ACPI-compatible computer. This will remove the error.

As Ronnie151 said, it is usually nothing to worry about unless it leads to specific problems like yours.

About caching:
http://webopedia.com/TERM/L/L1_cache.html

wasd2k4

actually on my new harddrive ive installed win xp with acpi bios disabled but still hangs but in the event log there were no errors

wasd2k4

when i disabled acpi in bios win xp hangs at start up and when i use win xp safe mode even if acpi bios is enabled it doest continue it stops at mup.sys

The state of enablement of ACPI in the BIOS may not effect XP's BIOS overrides for it's own purposes.

The question is which HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) was used during installation. An ACPI HAL wil try to use ACPI power management on the machine, but the HAL for a standard PC will not. The HAL used appears under Computer in Device Manager.

If ACPI doesn't function prefectly, get rid of it by reinstalling using a different HAL.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online