Amount of Disk Space set too high?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gabriel

Account Closed
hi, My friend has XP os, and her
"amount of disk space to use"
in the settings options under the 'General Tab" is set at 31974 MB.
Isn't that way too high? Where should it be set at

Amount of Disk Space set too high for what? In what settings page?
A little more info would help, as I do not know to what reference you are talking,
Virtual Memory? System restore space?

please describe what properties page you are on and in what context.

But, if it IS system restore space;
if she has a 250 GB hard drive and if you are speaking in regards of space allowed for system restore, then i presume it's ok considering I believe XP defaults to 12% of any drive allowed for system restore, so 12% of a 250 GB hard drive would be roughly 30 gigabytes(give or take depending on how big the drive actually is)

if it is the system restore space in question and you see that it is indeed at 12% , I would not recommend altering the state it is currently in, just for safety's sake

Gabriel

Account Closed
OK, I'll start over....I open Internet Explorer.
Right click on "Properties."...
Click on "General Tab"....
under Temp Intertnet files, I Click on the "Settings" Button....
The place with the slider bar that says 'Amount of Disk Space to Use" is set at 31974 MB......is that setting too high

ok in that case now that I know what setting you are talking about,
yes, that does seem a BIT too high,

I'd recommend anywhere between 2-5 % of the size of the drive depending on the total size of the drive

It all depends on what you do online, whether it's just casual browsing or forum perusing all the way to Flash heavy sites or audio/video embedded pages.
Also, your internet connection may help you determine what size the cache could/should be, a larger cache could help someone with dial-up, as they could cache more of their favorite site's files and not have to wait as long while they wait for the content to be re-downloaded everytime they visit that page.

The only worry is that sometimes too much can, yes steal from your available drive space and make cleanup take longer , but in today's day and age of 500 GB hard drives becoming publicly available, and relatively cheap(ahem, sorta) drive space isnt as big of a deal as it used to be.

And I'm sure someone else may have something to say about it, but yes, 30 GB is a little too hefty for the IE cache.

glad to be of assistance, looks like I do know something worthwhile afterall, cake for everybody!!!! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online