1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Amptron K7-M810XP Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jdscott, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jdscott

jdscott Thread Starter

Does anyone know why this motherboard (Amptron K7-M810XP) would not work with Win98SE or WinME? (Not that anything works well with ME).

I had the machine working fine with WinXP (just for testing). The guy who is using it now tells me that he can't get it to work now that he's formatted and trying to install Win98SE or ME.

I can't find anything in the ways of drivers, BIOS updates, or manuals. Anyone???

Any help whatsover would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MB Specs:
    http://www.baber.com/baber/411/amptron_k7810xp.htm

[/DESPERATION]

2. KingCody

KingCody

That is becuase it is a generic, garbage board

Did this "guy" tell you what steps he has taken in his attempt to install WindowsME? unless you tested it yourself, you don't know what he has or hasn't done, he may not of actually formatted it, or he may have only quick formatted

have you tried to install it for him?

and how do you know that the mobo is even the problem?

3. norton850

norton850

And of course what does "does not work" mean?

4. jdscott

jdscott Thread Starter

I agree that it's the Ford Pinto of motherboards.

I originally installed WinXP on the system and everything worked great.

He deleted the primary partition and created a new FAT32 partition (40 GB).

He has tried installing Win98 and WinME. He's been able to install the operating systems, but he can't get the system to boot after the last restart.

He reinstalled WinXP and everything worked again. It just appears to be a problem with using 98 and ME. Hence the question.

He's tried swapping out the RAM. That wasn't it.

Windows has been installed on the HD several times with no errors during installation, so I lean toward the HD being okay for the most part.

I have a gut feeling that the Ford Pinto is the problem (even though it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't).

The other thing I'm considering is an overheating problem. I can't be sure of this because I haven't seen him doing all of this. I wonder if he lets it rest for awhile and comes back, if that's when it works. After working through loading Windows, it could be too hot to start. This may be stretch but I have seen it before (on a laptop).

Any more thoughts?

5. norton850

norton850

If it works fine with XP then no reason to suspect hard drive, RAM or overheating. How far does it get after the Win98 or ME install?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice