1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

An E-Mail Spam Question? Dealing With Spam From Trusted Senders

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Jack1000, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack1000

Jack1000 Thread Starter

Greetings All,

I am interested in opening a discussion on the following scenario:

A good friend of mine and me both have Yahoo E-Mail Accounts. Several months ago, evidence showed that his account was getting hacked because about 40 people in his address book were getting spam sent from him that he obviously did not send. This was happening about once every two weeks.

I said the first thing to do would be change your e-mail password. I think he must of done this, because for about two months, everything was fine, until today, when his contacts, including me, got spammed again.

The thing is, I don't want to just click the Spam button, because he is a friend and trusted sender. Than, it is going to block good e-mail, legitimately sent by him from getting to me. If you are familiar with Yahoo Mail, there is the default option, where you can read e-mail from your contacts first. Good e-mail comes in with his name from my address book. Every couple of months, the spam comes in, and when it is the spam, it is shown as being from his e-mail address domain name:

For example: Let's say that this his name was "Joe Blow." If it's legit from him, it shows his name with the Subject that he tells me the e-mail is about. If it is from the Spammer, it just gives his e-mail address often with no subject in the subject line, so at least I can tell between the two.

I used the Yahoo Mail Spam Report Form, which asked for Full Headers and the Content of the E-Mail so that should help. Anyone else have any suggestions? Obviously, I have never opened anything from the spammers and all Anti-Virus and Security stuff at least on my computer's end is up-to-date and very clean.

Jack

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice