1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

An empty and a filled partition merged as single "free space" non-partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by thelamecoolguy, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thelamecoolguy

thelamecoolguy Thread Starter

Hey there:

As far as I remember, I had six partitions when my machine was fresh (I just bought it like 3 months back)
    - one for win xp
    - one empty (where I would later install Windows 7)
    - one where I'd store my documents
    - one big empty where I planned to install Linux sometime later
    - one big partition where I'd store everything else ('Main' partition)

There was a virus problem with XP - I had AVG installed, and the virus would infect all the exe files on my computr and AVG would simply delete it (the infected exe's) which made matters worse.

Then I installed Win 7 on another partition, and used it for some time without much trouble, except once when I tried some partition manager (so it would be easier when I'd install Linux - for now the Linux plan has been cancelled) when I lost two important partitions somehow (the last two I think, I don't remember exactly). Looking at Disk Management (Computer | Manage | Disk Management), and possibly doing some other things I don't remember I was able to get the partitions back the way they were before (one of them empty).

XP was still there on my PC, I started it once and it damaged the exe files of Win 7 as well. So after a few days I decide to reinstall XP then realised that the drives had disappeared again, this time I wasn't able to recover them. I checked Disk Management, and saw that the two partitions had been merged into one "free space" partition that didn't show in 'My Computer'. Then I realised that I couldn't login to Win 7 as the boot file's been replaced. A repair might have done the job, but I decided to do a proper install by formatting the original installation drive. No progress in Win 7 as well.

I have tried a lot of things, but I've been unable to recover the partition. The remaining three partitions - one Win XP partition, one Win7 partition and one Documents partition are intact. Its just the 'main' partition and an empty partition that's not showing up.

Now what should I do? I would prefer to get things the way they were. Or is recovery the only way?

Thanks in advanced for your help.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. thelamecoolguy

Thanks. I tried it, and it did find the missing partitions. It said I should restart the computer, so I did so, and Windows 7 failed to boot up. I told me to insert the installation disk and repair Win 7. XP however worked fine and it does show me the lost partitions. Should I go ahead with the Win7 repair?

I doubt if the program supports Win 7 as of yet as there is no mention on its website and I remember the program asked me if I also wanted to search for Vista partitions (I've never installed Vista on this machine).

5. thelamecoolguy

Actually now the Win 7 partition is gone. Its shown as empty free space in XP, so Win7 won't boot. That empty drive is still missing I think, although it doesn't matter right now.

Can you please explain me why this is happening? Virus infection?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/889165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice