1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

An error message - Microsoft Registry Checker

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by AbvAvgUser, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser Thread Starter

My config is Win98SE, P III 550, 128MB RAM, 20GB Hard Disk

Today morning, when I started my computer, I got the following error message in a blue DOS type screen.

Can anyone please tell me why this error message came? Yesterday night had a proper Shut Down before switching the machine off.

Secondly, since this error popped up, I am not able to browse or check my mail. I have a dial-up account. My modem connects and I get an ISP screen asking for username and password. After I enter, I get my dynamically allotted IP address as usual. Then I get the small icon of two computers in the SysTray signifying that I am connected. But not a single byte gets downloaded or uploaded. No web-pages get loaded, no mails come through my POP3 account.

I have removed and re-installed my Modem Drivers. But it hasn't helped.

I use NAV which was updated some days back and after update I have scanned my system for viruses. There was none found.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Here is Microsoft's explanation of the message:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q201655

Typically when this happens, the registry being restored would be a recent one and would not cause the problems you are reporting. However if you had ScanRegistry disabled in msconfig > startups, then the registry could have been a very old one.

Try going to Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode and enter

scanreg /restore

what are the dates you see listed there. If any are recent (with the exception of those after the problem), try restoring one. You cannot restore the oldest or 5th registry on the list.

You may also try entering scanreg /fix but this is not likely to be a resolution for having restored a very old registry.

Also if you can download and copy over the lspfix application from this site, it may allow you to repair a damaged Winsock/lsp key in the registry which can cause the problems you report.

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

3. AbvAvgUser

Thanks Rollin' Rog for the reply.

I haven't disabled anything my self. I have not touched any of the Win startup files.

Anyway, I will go through and do whatever you have suggested.

In the mean time, I removed and re-installed TCP/IP protocol and Dial-Up Adapter, but that has not solved my problem.

I have today called for a Tech Support Engineer and hope to have this sorted soon.

Its very irritating not being able to connect and check mails from office. That is where the problem is. I have to come home and do all the correspondence and other net related things.

4. AbvAvgUser

On suggestion from a more experinced person, I deleted all the protocols and adapters from my network settings. I wanted to reinstall everything. Instead of solving my problem, it messed up my system even further.

It refused to start, except in safe mode. It gave me an error message about Teefer.vxd. (I don't remember the exact error message). I have never heard about this file. I made a search for "Teefer" at Micro$oft Support site, Symantec site and also Google. None of them gave me any relevant information. I also searched for a file of similar file in another PC but it wasn't found.

I reinstalled Win98SE on top of what there already was. But that didn't help. I could start my Win98SE only in safe mode.

So I started in safe mode, opened regedit and removed the key that was referencing to this teefer.vxd file and guess what? Win98SE is now starting without any errors.

But now there is a new problem. I have a LAN of 4 stand-alone machines (through a hub) and now I cannot get connected to the LAN. :( I have re-installed all the protocols and adapters and also LAN card drivers.

5. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Is this a business LAN? My (limited) expertise on LAN is with NT and W2K.
    Where is the stoppage?
    What domain are you trying to log into?
    Is this through a CAT5 with a T-Base 10?

6. AbvAvgUser

This Teefer that I mentioned earlier is getting on my nerves now.

The same problem has recurred to some extent. Now I connect to the net (through dial-up), the connection status shows that a few hundred bytes have been downloaded and uploaded. And nothing more happens.

An entry for Teefer gets created in registry under the following entry every time I restart my machine.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    System
    CurrentControlSet
    Services
    VXD
    Teefer

I manualy delete that entry and net connection becomes normal. I scanned my HD with Norton as well AVG and there is no Virus reported by either of them. :( But I am still not able to browser the LAN.

LANMaster said ....

This is a LAN of 4 stand-alone machines. Each one has a LAN Card and is connected to a hub. The LAN is primarily made only to share files and printers. There's no server in the LAN. I am not trying to log into anything.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The last 6 times I've seen this on computers it was faulty memory.

8. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I'm finding more and more that my LAN is different than almost everyone's. I'll have to defer top someone who knows that kind of LAN. I'd hate to steer you down the wrong road.

Sorry.

9. AbvAvgUser

I will continue with this thread here for my LAN problem, but I think will have to start a new thread in the security section for that Teefer thing.

Or will create a thread there with the link to this thread so that experts have a whole picture while solving my problem.

10. IMM

IMM

A comment and a question.

In SE corrupt registries can sometimes result from an incomplete write of the registry to disk on shutdown. If you have a fast hard drive (perhaps even if you don't), you should certainly apply the Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package from http://microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp if you haven't already applied it (or the update site hasn't applied it).

The question is about teefer. Is this the 'winsock uninstaller' from sygate support?

11. AbvAvgUser

IMM, I have been using this machine since past 4 years and I haven't come across this error even once before. So, I safely guess that there is no problem with my Hard Disk speed.

You are right in what you said about teefer. It surely does relate to Sygate Personal Firewall. Though I am not activating it on startup everytime, there was something called SMC which used to get executed everytime I started my machine. That was why it was creating that entry in registry. But why on earth will that entry in registry slow down my net connection? Firewall is not active at that time!! :confused: On one occassion, I deleted the key after I got connected and immediately my connection started running smoothly.

12. Holistic1

Holistic1

The teefer.vxd object appears to be added from installing Ontrack firewal (not sure about other firewall programs)l. The problem comes that if or when you uninstall this product, it leaves some regristry entries behind. If you are confortable in the system registry, open it and do a find for teefer.vxd. Delete each entry found.

Hope this helps.

Holistic1

13. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Not a bad first post Holi. (Applauds a first post that seeks to help someone)

14. Holistic1

Holistic1

Thank you.

Holistic1

15. AbvAvgUser

Holistic1 said ...

That is what I have been doing since last some time. Otherwise, as I said, my net connection was almost dead.

Any other suggestions for my LAN problems?

Or shall I start a new thread in Networking section?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!