1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

an extremely hard problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbq112, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbq112

bbq112 Thread Starter

Mother board: INTEL D865PERL
    CPU: Intel p4 2.8 GHZ
    HD1: Western Digital WD800BB
    HD2: ST320410A
    Ram: 512 DDR
    Graphics card: Gigabyte Radeon 9200
    A dvd drive and an LG CDRW.

Today, I added HD2, I have changed the jumpers settings on both HD1 and HD2(HD1-MASTER, HD2-SLAVE).
    After making the change and installing HD2, I turned on the computer and I got a black screen(there were no errors before this screen came up and there were no errors afterward).
    As I was affraid that I did something wrong I have uninstalled HD2 and changed HD1's jumper settings as it was in the begining.
    Afterward I haved turned on the computer and still got a black screen(there were no error beeps or error messages during this screen).

The most weird thing is that everything is working absouloutely without a problem if during the black screen I am restarting my computer(using the reset button). I believe that if I will know why it works while using the 'reset' button and not while turning on than that would be the solution.

During the day I tried the following:
    1. changing the cables of the hard disk.
    2. updating the bios.
    3.In order to make sure that it isn't a hard disks problems, I disconnected all the IDE components(hard disk and CDS), but the status is still the same, while turning on it won't work and while clicking the computer's reset button it works...

So, I believe that there must be a problem with the mother board.

Please Help!
    Bar

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

How did you update the BIOS if the machine is dead?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The CPU will not "reset" and start the boot process unless the "Power_OK" line from the power supply indicates all power rails are correct, within about 0.5 seconds of power-on.

If the power supply rails take longer to settle, then sometimes a hard reset will allow a boot as the power rails are then correctly indicated.

So it could be PSU related, but no guarantees....

4. bbq112

bbq112 Thread Starter

The machine isn't dead!
    it only appears to be dead when I use the 'turn on' button, but if after I am using the 'turn on' button I am using the 'reset' button than the computer works just fine.

How can I check if it is a PSU problem?
    I must say that the computer worked great for the last two years...

Thanks in advance...
    Bar

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The only realistic way to check if it's a PSU problem is by trying another PSU.

But it fits the parameters of a sluggish Power_OK signal problem.

6. bbq112

bbq112 Thread Starter

I have read about hte power_ok signal, but it appears that the computer should reset itself automaticly after the power is ok(I read that it should take seconds), but even if I will leave the computer for an hour open nothing happens.
    Are you sure that the using the 'reset' button makes the computer to ignore the power_Ok signal?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The PG signal, once missed, will not "reset itself", it'll hang there until a power cycle. Of course, if it's slow, the power cycle will have the same effect and it'll hang. FWIW, the two times I've seen this issue, it's always been the MB, not the P/S.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437493

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice