1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

An Interesting Benchmark ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winbob, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winbob

winbob Thread Starter

I picked up a new laptop for a friend, a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4467. It is a core 2 duo T5200 @ 1.6GHz each w/1GB ram and Windows Vista Home Premium.

I ran it against my laptop, an HP Pavilion ZV5000, a Pentium 4 uni @ 3.2GHz, w/1GB ram and Windows XP Pro.

The program I used was Cucusoft's AVI to DVD conversion appl. Of course I used the same AVI file in each case.

The application provides progress stats and estimates of time to completion as well as info on Frames processed, etc. So it is easy to see how they are running.

Now I expected that the Toshiba would be handicapped since I doubted that the App could take advantage of the Duo Proc setup, but it still had 1.6 GHz w/1GB of ram to run with!

Well here's what happened....the HP showed 42 minutes estimated time to completion....the Toshiba showed 15 HOURS!
    I watched the progress numbers until the HP finished, and the Toshiba was at about 3% complete. I stopped the Toshiba.

Now I know this has a lot of Oranges mixed in with the Apples, but the Toshiba results amazed me. I'm tempted to load XP on it and try to rerun the application, because I'm thinking that the worst impact is from Vista?

Any thoughts? :confused:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!