an interesting problem with a new psu

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mattig89ch

greetings ladies and gents.

I bought a new psu, suggested to me in this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/games/1037961-little-advice-new-video-card.html (more specifically this psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020).

I just got the psu, popped into my machine, and....nothing. my mainboard wouldn't even post. I spent the last hour and a half making sure that everything was connected correctly. So i poped my old psu back into my machine and it works fine.

could the problem be that the main board was receiving too much power?

could the problem be that the main board was receiving too much power
No that can't be the problem.

I don't mean to offend you, but did you make sure the power switch was on?
Did the PSU fan start?

mattig89ch

lol, no problem. Yes, the switch was on. the fan on the mainboard started up also (the one covering the CPU). I felt the hard drive move, as well as the 2 cd roms read. but then...nothing. no output on the monitors, no reading of the hard drive/cd roms. it just sat there. I tried hitting the power button, and nothing. I held it down and the fans stopped spinning.

no beeping from the main board, no other odd behavior. its like the main board read everything as being there, and then stopped.

Tanis

Shane
If the only thing you have changed is the PSU and the system powers up fine with a different one, I would consider sending the new on back as faulty. Even the best manufacturers sometimes have faulty units get shipped out :)

mattig89ch

hm, I was thinking along the same lines, but I was hoping that I was doing something wrong. Returning anything to newegg can be such a hassle.

mattig89ch

well, got the new psu. same issue. didn't spend nearly as long checking this time, but the results were the same.

is it possible that my mainboard can't handle the greater amount of power?

crjdriver

is it possible that my mainboard can't handle the greater amount of power?
No, that is not possible. If I understand your posts, you have tried two separate corsair pw supplies. If that is correct, you must not be connecting something correctly ie the extra 4pin atx pw connector OR the 4+4 connector most likely.

mattig89ch

your right on the money, newegg let me exchange it. and heres the kicker, everthing is connected. nothing can be pushed in more, or is loose. I didn't sit there for an hour and a half again, but I made sure.

this new psu went into the connections alot easier then the other one did. the other one fought me a little, this new one when in like it was meant to be there.

mattig89ch

with the old psu yea. the new one won't...well...i'm not exactly sure what it is and isn't doing. I just know the mainboard doesn't post.

I feel the hard drive and cd roms spin up, the fans come on, but then...nothing.

mattig89ch

oh, I just tested the new PSU on two different machines and they powered up just fine.

crjdriver

Are you using the foxconn board in your specs or is this a different system?

mattig89ch

oh, 2 completely different machines. in 2 different rooms of the house.

the only difference is, I didn't fasten the new psu to the respective cases like I did with my current one (current one = the machine I'm trying to upgrade).

crjdriver

It would help if you posted the exact specs of the machine you are actually working on ie exact mb, video card, etc, etc.

mattig89ch

do you mean the machines i've tested it on? or the machine i'm currently trying to upgrade?

One of them doesn't have a hard drive, and one has been turned into the family desktop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online