1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

An MS Office 2007 font mystery

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by maestrogn, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maestrogn

maestrogn Thread Starter

In 2008, I wrote a book in Word 2007 that made extensive use of International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). The font that I used was SIL Doulos IPA93. That font is still on my computer. However, when I open the Word file, all of those IPA symbols have been converted to Wingdings.

If one tries to change the Wingdings back to either the SIL font or Times New Roman, all the characters become boxes which I think means that all of the font encoding has been lost.

HOWEVER -- the mystery...

If I copy and paste the Windings over to Excel 2007, I can convert those to a text font. The only things I am missing are where a shift letter was used. These will not convert to a current IPA font (now Charis SIL) and have to be hand converted. But, at least the vast majority of the wingdings be converted to text and then over to the IPA font.

The question is, why is that not possible in Word. What am I missing?

maestrogn

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice