1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

An old iMac with OS9 Installed

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by buf, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

A friend sold this to me for a very dollars but I know NADA about Mac's. I am not sure it will even boot and furthermore, I don't know how to get it to boot. Oh, it appears to have life when I plug it into house current but that is as much as I can tell you.
    Any help from any of you? As usual. TIA.

EDIT: There were no CD's for the Mac and it appears to have been built 4-4-2000. BTW, I see an "open slot" in the face of the machine and I assume that is where a CD would slide in.

2. Headrush

Headrush

We need a little more info to get started.

Can you explain what exactly you mean by shows life? (something lights up, hard drive spinning, screen on but blank, etc)

3. buf

buf Thread Starter

Many thanks for your reply Headrush. I didn't know what to submit but then again, I have never tried to start up an IMac. The screen does light up, I do see a couple of icons and because I know nothing of the workings of such a machine, I didn't know how or what to do. I did read in the forums(?) something about holding down the Alt key or some key on the keyboard while turning on the machine--this could cause the machine to boot. I never tried that largely because there was another key or two that may cause the boot process to complete. Of course, I could not see if any software programs were installed. Before trying that, I came to our forum for some hoped for input and help. OH, the guy did not have a iMac keyboard but was successfully using a Microsoft keyboard.

4. Headrush

Headrush

Are the icons in the middle of the screen or along the bottom?

After the icons appear what happens?
    What is the last thing appearing on the screen?

It's hard to tell from your description whether the machine is at the boot disk selection screen or has booted Mac OS 9, or stuck somewhere else.

5. buf

buf Thread Starter

I am still interested in all of the help with this that I can get. I just haven't had the time lately to get back here. I will, however .

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reopened by request.

7. buf

buf Thread Starter

After more "playing" with the old Mac, I have since determined that it takes between 3 to 5 minutes to boot into the "directory" of installed software, apps; etc. Apparently I was expecting a much faster bootup and I wasn't giving enough time for that to occur.
    The first screen I see is one with iMac 9 OS and then a changing icon in the center of the screen that changes to a question mark and then back to the 'other' icon. Eventually, that goes away and 3 icons appear on the right side near the top of the screen. Those icons are lined up from top to bottom(1 under the other). No, I don't recall the name of the icons but eventually the apps will appear and I can open any one of them. The whole operation is so different than what windows does so I can hardly explain. I did check the RAM DISK and it showed 32.6 MB or some small number. I was totally surprised to see anything, especially such a small number.
    I have had some periods of illnesses while trying to teach myself something about this machine and that is part of the delay in getting back to this thread but I do really appreciate any and all help I may find. Hope Headrush is still available.
    THANKS FOR RE-OPENING THIS THREAD TERRY.

8. Headrush

Headrush

With the date you provided, the machine could be a Power Mac G4.

That slow boot up and the appearance of the question mark is a symptom of a dead on board battery.

What info are you exactly looking for now?

9. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks Headrush. I am not looking for anything in particular; instead just wanting to know if the machine works and what it may do with the software that is already loaded. I don't expect it to offer anyone much in the way of full or partial operation.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice