1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

An Overclocked GeForce 2 GTS PRO is slower than an overclocked GeForce 4 MX 420?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jskrakowski, Nov 1, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jskrakowski

jskrakowski Guest Thread Starter

I replaced my motherboard (lol...thanks guys for your help) and now i have a different video card.

i used to have a

GeForce 4 MX420 64 MB of SDRAM overclocked at 285 core and 404 memory

and a Celeron 2.0 Ghz with 384 MB of PC2100 RAM

and it got 3DMark2001 SE 330 score of

well

now i have a

GeForce 2 GTS Pro 64MB of DRR RAM with a Core of 235 and memory of 458

on a Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM (133 mhz speed)

FSB is also faster on this new motherboard

and i only get a score of

why is that?

is the GeForce 2 GTS Pro a slower card than the GeForce 4 MX420?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. jskrakowski

that 133 Mhz is the RAM speed BTW

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well if you're using PC133 RAM (SDRAM) as opposed to PC2100 (DDR) then that would account for some performance loss.

Honestly I can't compare those two cards.

It could have something to do with the BIOS setup and the drivers. Do you have the motherboard/chipset drivers loaded?

4. jskrakowski

well, i took this mobo out of a Sony Vaio (because the mobo from the Sont had an AGP slot) and put it in my Dell (voided my warrenty...and it's not really a Dell anyways. the only "Dell" parts are the DVD-ROM, CD-RW, Floppy, Hard Drive and the Case itself. everything else is my own stuff; even the the Power supply since it was 100 W more than my old Dell Power Supply.

and it took me until from 7PM till 3 AM (then i slept) and from 10AM to 4PM to fully get the mobo working, but now, it works great.

im pretty sure that it works though, cuz i get better performance than my old P3 system back when i ahd the GeForce 4 in it.

but in overall tests, is a GeForce 2 GTS Pro slower than a GeForce 4 MX420?

also.....for comparison...the MX420 is overcloacked BEYOND an MX440...so it's practically a 440.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

If your using SD-RAM on either board, especially on the NEW board - your going to have LOW performance. Hence, I don't FORGIVE Intel for "screwing" its customers to make "low end" computers (when they could have bought faster AMD systems).

The mx420 & GF2-GTS are in the same area in performance "bubble"... so your scorew kinda shows that.

If you want more speed, you need a faster video card... but if your "new" PC is using SD-RAM PC-133, it will never be "fast".

PS: When I had my GF3 and PIII-866Mhz system, my 3D-Mark 2001 scored around 5000.

With my current system (look below) its around 10,000.

6. jskrakowski

BTW I plan on buying for chrismas a Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB edition

but ok, that's what i needed to know

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Unless your also planning on upgrading your CPU/system as well - the 9800 will run slower than on a faster system.

read other posts and reviews... 256mb adds nothing to the performance... about 2fps (out of 150fps).

8. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest Thread Starter

waste of money..

9. jskrakowski

OH YES! i know this

i know that it CURRENTLY only adds that much

BUT

in future games when texture details get higher, i don't want to upgrade AGAIN! it's a bit more "future-proof" than the 128 MB model.

course, nothing is future proof

im just saying, i don't wanna upgrade again any time soon.

but a Radeon 9800 will run REALLY fast on my current system

10. jskrakowski

i don't think it is a waste of money

11. compilerxp

compilerxp

1 - no such thing as "Future proof" Look at the suckers for the first P4 buyers. "performance will be better in the future" - yeah, with a NEW CPU, NEW motherboard and NEW memory... 18 months later.

2 - When a game requires 256mb of memory, then that 9800 will be too "slow" more likely. Whant a 256mb card, get the 9800-XT, it *only* comes with 256mb.

3 - Anything is a "waste of money" if you get nothing out of it (other than bragging rights). I have a 5900Ultra, but its in a testing syster for a project... other than DEMOS (Dawn), with the games I play I have not used it to replace my Ti4200... with its 64mb.

4 - With your current hardware, an ATI 9600Pro on a faster setup would out run your system with a 9800Pro. Consider selling what you have (you have about $400 worth of hardware (2 CPUs)) and getting something like an AMD 3000 (or P4 2.8) with modern motherboard and RAM... Then you can get a 3Dmark of 14000~17000 :)

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can save a lot of money by going with a 9500 pro 128 meg or a 9600 pro w/128 meg. Buying the 9800 w/256 would be wasting money. Put your money into a better mb / cpu / ram.
    I just ran 3DMark 2001 on this box and got a score of 13300. It is running an AMD 2600+ on an Asus AV8X-X with 1024 pc2700 ram, 9500 pro w/128 meg running raid 0. It is just my opinion, however you are throwing your money away with the 9800 on your current setup.

13. jskrakowski

i decided to get teh 128 MB model

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/176245

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice