Anal About Spyware?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

starship_fl

My computer has Webroot's Spy Sweeper loaded and running.

Yeah I know, why pay for it?

My question is - Would there be a conflict if i also ran SpyWare Blaster?

If I'm reading it right, SWB is an active program, running in the background. So is Spy Sweeper.

I smell a problem.

You can run Microsoft's Anti Spyware alongside Spyware Blaster, Adaware and Spybot without problems so why not Spy Sweeper instead of say Microsoft apart from the cost.

Actually, Spywareblaster is not active, it's more protective. You don't have to run it, it blocks things without even being open.

Since I have good sense, the only anti-spyware program that I use much at all is Spywareblaster, except the very very occasional scan from spybot and adaware(I don't even keep them installed), which just about always comes up with nothing. When it does, it's always something very minor, like a single tracking cookie.

Stoner

Banned
I can only relate my experience, I didn't document exactly how it occured.
I'm useing win98se and Norton Internet Security.
I had installed SWB, AdAware and Spybot SD...and things worked well.

But I tried out several of the other spyware apps that others use sucussfully, and my firewall was broken. As I said, I did not document what broke the firewall.

I would suggest you use a resource like grc.com to test your firewall anytime you add multiple spyware apps. It's good to run tests on it anyway, just to make sure the firewall is functioning properly :)

BTW, I also think Spywareblaster is a good app.

starship_fl

Bump

I've downloaded and installed SpyWareBlaster.

Since then I've noticed a reduction in my tracking cookies.

However, I've also noticed that if I walk away from my computer for a few hours I can't open my browser (This page cannot be displayed) without re-booting.

I suspect a connection. Advise appreciated.

Can't add much to what has already been posted, except to say that SpySweeper is very heavy on system resources, while I suspect that SpywareBlaster uses few, if any. Once it sets its 'kill bits' to prevent spyware loading, it is inactive.

I have AdAware Plus (but don't run AdWatch due to resource issues), Spybot, SWB and SpySweeper (only as 'on demand' scanner, not 'real time'). I once had problems when I attempted to use Spybot's TeaTimer feature, everything just froze after a while.

I have never had the problem you describe, although I am on dialup so I rarely leave my computer unattended for long. My daughter did once 'forget' and didn't log off, but everything still worked two hours later!

starship_fl said:
Bump

I've downloaded and installed SpyWareBlaster.

Since then I've noticed a reduction in my tracking cookies.

However, I've also noticed that if I walk away from my computer for a few hours I can't open my browser (This page cannot be displayed) without re-booting.

I suspect a connection. Advise appreciated.
Hi starship_fl,

Have you considered just killing the browser process and re-executing the browser instead of re-booting the whole computer? That usually works for me when my browser (Firefox) gets constipated.

-- Tom

starship_fl

I had a brief discussion with my ISP, RoadRunner.

It's their opinion that the fault is either in my computer or most likely, my D-link router. It seems to be timing out, if such a thing is possible.

The past three times its done the "not working thing", I turned off just the router and waited a few minutes. I then turned it back on, it re-acquired a connection and all was fine.

Perhaps my router, which is still under warranty, is taking a dump.

Any ideas?

And Thanks for all the help..

Sounds like your router just lost the connection, so rebooting the router was the right thing to do.

If browsing is alright as well, please mark this thread Solved with the Thread Tools.

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online