1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Analog PAL Video to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by rkraenzlin, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rkraenzlin

rkraenzlin Thread Starter

I have a lot of old analog Hi8 Video tapes in PAL format and would like to burn them onto a DVD. Is there any software out there I can use to do this?

2. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Well, you don't give much information for us to go by, but I'll run a few assumptions (PAL is your native format, and you are, presumably, interested in using your PC to accomplish this).

The cheapest option is to install a TV card. You could then attach a VCR to it (via coax cable) and from there hook your analog camcorder up to run through the VCR, straight to your PC/TV. Then all you'd have to do is record.

ATI TV card is pretty good. Has various formats you can capture with.

hope this helps,

MBN

3. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

One additional question: Wouldn't I have to add a converter between my PAL video recorder and the VCR to convert the PAL input to NTSC output for the VCR to accept. Based on your suggestion, the VCR then delivers a NTSC format to the TV Card (also NTSC) and I use a recording software to convert to DVD. Did I get this right?

Okay, just so everyone has the opportunity to learn from others, make sure you post back on the existing thread.

This question goes to lack of information provided. I have absolutely no way of knowing if you are in PAL or NTSC territory....

Assuming by your above message, you are currently in NTSC-land. I know converters exist, but do not know where to find them. One option, though, is to find a company that can convert it for you. I have done this several times with VCR tapes that needed to be converted from NTSC to PAL to share with relatives in Italy. The cost wasn't bad and the job was done fairly quickly.

MBN

4. rkraenzlin

rkraenzlin Thread Starter

Yes I am in NTSC territory but the tape library is from all the years in Europe.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice