1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Analog Power Saving Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NovaLord, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NovaLord

NovaLord Thread Starter

Recently I've been having problems with my PC. I have installed Call of Duty 4 on the machine, and it runs fine. The graphics, FPS, and all that other stuff is great, it's just that after 10-30 minutes of play, the sound will lag, the game will stop, and the monitor will go black. The message

" ANALOG
    POWER SAVING MODE"

pops up on the screen, and there is no possible way to recover from this other than rebooting.

This has not happened any other time, except when playing CoD4.

What is the problem, and how do I make this stop!?! :mad:

Please help!

2. NovaLord

NovaLord Thread Starter

3. NovaLord

NovaLord Thread Starter

... Bump. I really need help with this!

4. NovaLord

NovaLord Thread Starter

Bump 3. Still no solution, not even a single reply.

5. NovaLord

NovaLord Thread Starter

Bump 4. Please give this thread some attention!
    I've also now figured out that it crashes when playing any other game, also.
    I'm guessing the same goes when putting the machine under stress.

Is this a heat issue? Or something else?
    A reply would be nice!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Please post the specs of your computer. Have you checked your computer for overheating? What power supply do you have?

P.S. Do not bump up a thread so many times within a short period of time, you're only hurting the chances of someone taking a look at it because they'll think there's already quite a few posts going.

7. NovaLord

NovaLord Thread Starter

Sorry about the bumping; it's very immature of me, but I'm so eager to have the problem fixed.

My specs are:

CPU: AMD 6000+ 3.0 GHz

Mainboard: Asus Crosshair Mainboard

RAM: 6 GB PC6400 DDR2 RAM
    (Although only 3 GBs are used, as I'm running on 32 bit XP.)

Video Card: XFX 8800 GT 512 MB Alpha Dog Edition

HD: 2 300 GB Disks

Power Supply: 450w (not sure of the brand)

Case: Thermaltake Soprano

Monitor: LG Flatron L204WTX - 20.1"

I know that the power supply is small, but it has ran fine on CoD4, Crysis, Farcry 2 and many other games for the entire time I've had it. It's just now that this problem has begun happening with virtually any game.

Oh, also, the CPU temps are around 50-60 degrees, and the machine has never overheated or had heat-related problems before. Through the window I can see a bit of dust in some spots, and the cables are a bit messy. But even opening it up, it still seems alright.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    OK, your CPU temps are too high. Make sure the heatsink is seated correctly and clean out all the dust and tidy up the cables to improve the cables.

Take a look at the lable on the power supply for the make and model.

9. NovaLord

NovaLord Thread Starter

Alright, I have moved the cables so that they will not block airflow as bad. The heatsink is seated properly; all fans are connected and running fine.

The PSU is a Sparkle (SPI) - FSP550-60PLG 550W model. So it was a 550 watt, not a 450 watt power supply.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ok, so that a good power supply.

Play some of your games for a while and report what the temps go too while playing the game or shortly after exiting the game. 60 is quite warm, especially if thats not during gaming or heavy load.

11. NovaLord

NovaLord Thread Starter

About 1-2 minutes after playing Call of Duty 4, the CPU temp was at about 64 degrees, I remember. I checked that in BIOS setup when I rebooted the machine after one of it's little crashes. After playing Counter-Strike Source the temperatures were around the same. 58-60 degrees When doing general desktop things, browsing the internet, photoshop and the likes, the CPU temperatures were around 55-60, also.

This is very scary, as that is extremely warm for a processor to be when not even being heavily pushed.

What is even scarier, is that right now, as I'm typing this, my video card has a temperature of 67-68 degrees.

The HD, Motherboard and all other components are quite good, running at 28-30 degrees.

But why are these temperatures giving me a problem NOW? I haven't had a problem like this for months, but just yesterday it begins giving me problems?

What is it that I need to do? Should I apply thermal paste to the CPU (which I have none of, or know how to do) - Should I get a different case, or should I just throw my PC out the window? :(

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The X2 6000+ are known to run hot, but not that hot. Are you sure the heatsink is installed correctly and that there is in fact thermal paste between the heatsink and processor and that the protective tape has been removed?

You have a good case.

First make sure you don't have an fan control enabled that lowering the fan speed down and check the CPU voltage in the BIOS that its not set too high. You're not overclocking are you?

Or you can buy an aftermarket cooler. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

13. NovaLord

NovaLord Thread Starter

The heatsink looks to be fine, and the CPU fan is running great. I'm sure that there is thermal paste there, and that there isn't a cover on it, either.

Fans are running at around 3100 RPM.

The voltage to the CPU core voltage is 2.27 volts... Isn't that crazy high!? :confused:

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/769430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice