1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Analogue TV & Digi Freeview

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by AudioGuy, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AudioGuy

AudioGuy Thread Starter

Hi
    Wonder if anyone can shed any light on this.
    Got an oldish TV 32" Bush WS7680 (dont have manual for it).. and connected it up 2 a small cheap Digi freeview box. (TV ariel socket and scart)...The 1st one i bought after a couple of hours on same channel a box appeared asking would i like to power off (yes & no box).. obviously no good if ya out and wanting to record anythin. Anyway i exchanged it and for another thinkin it was a fault but it happened again, so i thought it was that make and model of box. I got a refund and went to another shop and got diff make and model but same thing is still happening (just switching itself off - TV as well) ... Im now guessing its the TV... any ideas as i have tried everything! thanks

2. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Small cheap Digi Freeview box - does that mean a set top box?

3. AudioGuy

AudioGuy Thread Starter

Hi ozzie
    Yeah think its the same thing. Small digital box that does freeview (scart + aerial connections at back).

4. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    All I know is that if the set top boxes have been subject to power surges either from the power source or the TV, they can start to switch on and off (on their own, to start with at random) but usually you don't get the power off option come up on the screen, although there is nothing to say that something different might happen if the set top boxes are subject to power surges.

I had to get rid of three set top boxes and a TV and several light bulbs from my lounge before I got an electrician in and got the power sorted, in all cases after the power surge the set top box and TV switched off then back on. till it got so bad it was continually doing it, their for stuffed.

At first like you I thought it was the set top boxes I had brought two the same the lounge one went funny, so put the one I had in the bedroom, in the lounge, same thing started to happen, that is when I started to think it was the power, as until I put the second one into the lounge it had not played up.

Got the electrician in to have a look at my power, he reckoned there was nothing wrong.

I brought a new one and a few weeks later the TV finally bit the dust along with the third set top box (we have a few of the older TVs to use up before I get a HD one)

Called a different electrician in and found that the safety switch was not working right and the guttering had got leaves in it and when we got heavy rains water had got into the roof from the guttering and caused problems with the wiring in that part of the house.

It can be expensive trying to pin down a problem, maybe they have been subject to a power surge, for two different types of set top boxes to play up the same way brought from two different places, as you have stated, it either has to be the power or TV or both.

I can not think it would be anything else other than the power causing this problem, hope you sort it, if its anything other than the power, it will be interesting, I would like to see what sort of other things can affect a set top box if not the power.

I have three more TVs to go before I cave in and get a HD TV, family gave me some when they updated, I like to wait till the price comes down. I am just glad that the power problem is sorted as to replace a HD TV would have been expensive.

5. AudioGuy

AudioGuy Thread Starter

Thanks for the Info Beanie
    Think i may have sussed it. In the manual for the new set top box it says that it switches itself off (or give u the option to press yes or know to stay on) after 120 mins (if remained on the same channel), now i think this is a new Euro directive Health & safety/ energy saving thing thats on all the newer digi set top boxes... I think the way around it is to set the EPG (electronic prog guide) to a prog hours later ... i think then it doesnt switch itself off..............stupid thing i know but thats wot they have gone an done!!!!!

6. ozziebeanie

ozziebeanie

First Name:
    Serena
    Must be different where you are, mine was caused by power surges, it does not have that thing that comes up asking if you want to power off or on, I can imagine that would be annoying if you are in the middle of watching something, but since I have had the power fixed the new set top box has not done it.

Glad you sorted it, if it was not something to do with the power, I was at a loss as to what it could be.

Cheers

Beanie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice