1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Analysts predict bleak future for Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Techworld.com article here.

Calling the situation "untenable" and describing Windows as "collapsing," a pair of Gartner analysts have claimed that Microsoft must make radical changes to the operating system or risk becoming a has-been.

Yeah, too bad about Singularity (See MS Research Web Page (In the spotlight))
    here - just what they need, but no way to accommodate their applications base, i.e. revenue stream!

-- Tom

2. L0gic

L0gic

Thank you for the info!

I honestly believe that the only way Microsoft will have the "has been" title is if or when someone creates an o/s that will surpass Windows for every business and home user. The majority of all o/s users run Windows and granted it's not a gem, but it's one that most people are used to. Too bad there isn't an o/s that is alot like Windows, but more reliable =P

3. mrss

mrss Guest

MSFT's current quarter will surprise all the financial analysts as the home PC builders come to realize that XP sales shut off soon. They will be putting away an extra copy of XP.

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Public demand has already extended sales and support dates for XP. I expect the same again as MS does not wish to alienate any more potential customers. I suspect MS would rather sell XP than lose a customer to Linux or MAC or something.

They have already acknowledged that Vista leaves a huge gap in the PC market.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20080404/tc_pcworld/144135

When there is enough demand, someone will supply.
    As MAC and Linux pick up steam in the market share, more and more apps and games will be made for them.

5. normac26

normac26

Thanks for the info ;)

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Users fight to save Windows XP
    "You really can't make 69 percent of your installed base unhappy with you," he said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080414/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_save_xp_4

7. mrss

mrss Guest

The link about the low cost PC needs only mentioned XP Home going to OEM manufacturers. The other link is no guarantee that M/S will relent on shutting off the supply of activation numbers.

So I bought a copy of XP Pro SP2 for a future build. Probably can sell it for what I paid if I don't need it.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

9. lotuseclat79

10. valis

valis Moderator

interesting......been reading about this on a few sites, interesting to follow.

11. lotuseclat79

Midori musings: Thoughts on a "post-Windows" OS.

The big excitement in Microsoftland this week has been further news of Midori. Midori is claimed to be Microsoft's "post-Windows" operating system—a new platform for the future. The SD Times claims to have seen internal Microsoft documents describing the company's plans for the new OS, and it says that Midori will be a commercial derivative of the Singularity project. Say hello to a cloud-computing-ready .NET OS.

The 5 sections of the article are:
    1) Dreaming in the cloud
    2) Problem one: compatibility
    3) Problem two: parallelism
    4) A platform for the future
    5) Dead end or huge hit?

-- Tom

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice