1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Analyzer/Defragmenter does not run

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tamarbri, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tamarbri

tamarbri Thread Starter

I'm running XP Home with an AMD Athlon 64x2 DCP 6000+, 4GB Ram, SP3.
    When I fire up Defragmenter from System Tools and ask it to either Analyse or Defrabment, NOTHING happens. I have run CHKDSK on C:, no problems. C: is a 750GB SATA disk with 2 partitions, one C: of 250GB, and E: 500GB. Anyone have any ideas, please?:mad:

2. bbearren

bbearren

Have your XP installation CD handy and go to Start > Run and type

sfc /scannow

and click on OK.

3. tech-win

tech-win

4. tamarbri

tamarbri Thread Starter

Thanks guys,
    Tried all your tips without success! sfc /scannow worked but made no difference. I was asked for my installation disc and had to keep hitting 'retry' occasionally, but it ran and accessed the CD sveral times.
    It has got me beat. Mebbe I shall have to invest in something like Diskkeeper. What do you think???:eek:

5. stantley

stantley

6. bbearren

bbearren

JKDefrag is the best I have used (and what I currently use), it's free, and quite flexible.

However, JKDefrag (and all other third party defragmenters that work within the Windows environment) use the built-in Windows API's. Download JKDefrag and give it a try, and if you still have no success, you may need to do a repair/reinstall.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Go to the C:\Windows\inf folder, right click the dfrg.inf file and then click install on the new menu.

That should re-install XP's Defrag, so try to defrag now.

8. tamarbri

tamarbri Thread Starter

Hi Managed, did that, still no joy......DUH!
    Hello Stantley, downloaded Diskeeper Lite, tried to install, got message 'the system administrator (that's me) has set policies to prevent this installation' I never did!!! Don't understand Windows XP fully.
    Good day Bbearen, just about to give JK a go....watch this space! And...thanks you good folks, it is great to know that someone cares....and remember You are not what you think you are, but what you THINK, you ARE.

9. tamarbri

tamarbri Thread Starter

Hello again,
    No problem downloading and running the JK s/ware. It took a while but I do have a couple of sizeable HDD's.
    I thought I'd have a look at the Auslogics product and downloaded it. When I came to run it, I had a similar problem with the Software Restriction Policies within Windows. This is something I know nothing about and it is becoming a pain. The message I got was this: 'Access to C;\Progfiles\Auslogics\Auslogics Disk Defrag\DiskDefrag.exe has been restricted by your administrator by location with policy rule (61cbeeec3-23ea-4ebd-a1f7-5fb42a01ea57). As I am the administrator on a stand alone machine, not linked to any other network (apart from the WEB), can anyone please tell me ow to disable this blockage? Sorry to be a pain, but I'm slowly losing it!
    Many thanks for all your help and suggestions so far!
    Cheers.:D

10. bbearren

bbearren

JKDefrag does not need to be installed, hence no error message. Glad it worked for you.

However, the other symptom of administrator permissions problems is indicative of malware. Only those approved by Tech Support Guy are permitted to give help or advice concerning malware removal, so I suggest you post that issue here. Be sure to read the "sticky" first post in the forum for instructions on how to ask for help with malware.

Since you're having trouble with installations, you may not be able to run HijackThis and post a log, but that doesn't mean you won't get help. Explain your problem, and include a link to this thread.

Visit my homepage and click on Simple Security.

11. virtuindia

virtuindia

Can you try this one reinstall disk defragmentation

follow these steps:

To install the Disk Defragmenter:

1. Start / Run / %SystemRoot%\INF / OK.

2. Right-click the DFRG.INF file and press Install.

12. tamarbri

tamarbri Thread Starter

Dear bbearen,

Thanks for the info. I posted the problem on HiJackthis and will wait and see. I use AVG v8 as security (not the free version) and it flags up every tracking cookie and infection etc. As it updates every time I switch on I can't see how any nasties can get through, but, I haven't had any reports on how good or bad AVG v8 Is. I've had it for two years and it is up for renewal soon.

13. tamarbri

tamarbri Thread Starter

Dear Virtuindia,

Thanks for your post, this step has been tried and it doesn't work. I'm gradually getting to the heart of the problem!!!!

THX

14. m-r

m-r

Managed, I can't thank you enough!
    I've been trying to find a solution to my non-functioning defrag for MONTHS, and yours is the first (and probably only) one to work.
    So simple, so bloody effective!
    You're a genius: thanks from the heart.
    Oh and btw, are you someone who provides a lot of answers? - I should like to watch for them...
    regards and endless thanks from me,

M-R
    Sydney, Oz

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice