1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Analyzing data to go into a DB

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by PVD2003, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PVD2003

PVD2003 Thread Starter

right, im a total novice at this.. ive been given a little homework should we say. a questionaire regarding the topic about travel to, and from school ie walk cycle, car etc, that is issued to parents to fill in.

this questionaire has now got to be converted to a database..how do u go about extracting the data/information and convert them to tables and attributes...

i realise this is quite a vague question and prob not easy to answer so if anyone has any websites that show u basics of table design i would be grateful.

My mind cant get round the concepts of entities and relationships either!

2. stod73

stod73

You will need to set the tables up first and then import the data. What platform are you using?

3. PVD2003

PVD2003 Thread Starter

perhaps i wasnt entirely clear... i have a paper questionaire with around 10 questions on it that will be issued to parents.. when i mean extract i mean take out the information that is important and think about how that information would be represented in a db. (Access).

so at the moment this is a paper excercise. anyone that has done any Entity relationship modeling at school/college would prob know more what im talking about...

or systems analysts...

4. THoey

THoey

I just have a hard time helping you with "a little homework should we say". How about you tell us what you think, put some effort into it, and then maybe we can help you figure it out.

5. stod73

stod73

PVD2003,
    I understand what you are asking about. Seems like you are putting a lot of thought into a very simple database. I'm not sure what version of Access you are using since you are not very forth coming with that info but there should be a sample database that will more than cover your needs. Also, check the Access 'help' file for detailed info.

6. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

Hi:

I have quite a bit of experience in setting up databases. I must admit I am not a fan of Access. I use FileMaker. But the concept is the same.

If you have a copy of one of the questionnaires, post it here and I can make you a simple database. Some quick planning would be involved, but I don't think an E-R diagram is necessary, as this would only need one table (I think)

Ken

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice