1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Anatomy of the Linux file system: A layered structure-based review

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by lotuseclat79, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

Here.

When it comes to file systems, Linux® is the Swiss Army knife of operating systems. Linux supports a large number of file systems, from journaling to clustering to cryptographic. Linux is a wonderful platform for using standard and more exotic file systems and also for developing file systems. This article explores the virtual file system (VFS)—sometimes called the virtual filesystem switch—in the Linux kernel and then reviews some of the major structures that tie file systems together.

-- Tom

2. RobLinux

RobLinux

Have you found the articles by D. Robbins on various filesystem, written around 2001/2002 when kernel 2.4 had just come out? I was on there looking for those, and info to try and track all the changes for 2.6 the other day.

Anyone got good links to add, it'd be much appreciated.

3. lotuseclat79

4. RobLinux

RobLinux

And I was naive enough to try the IBM site search, which failed completely so I suspected they'd archived off those old articles for some reason.

Nice one, never heard of Clusty before!

5. lotuseclat79

Hi RobLinux,

Not all of the WWW is indexed by Google or some of the other main search engines such as Yahoo, MS, etc.

I use Firefox and have acquired a slew of search engines (I use FF) from the Mycroft Project.

Here are some of the other ones I use: ixquick, googlonymous, clusty, dogpile, blackbox, mamma, and altavista.

Also, there are specific domain search engines for fields like journalism and I'm guessing other domains of knowledge that I do not know about.

-- Tom

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648926

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice