Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancestry.com Site Problems

Solved 
2K views 23 replies 3 participants last post by  DaveA 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400T CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8050 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (856 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., V230IC-DDR4
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hi,

My husband and I have two computers. His is an older computer; mine is a little over a year old. We both use an Edge browser. His computer is the main computer and I have a router connection. We recently dropped TV/cable service for an internet provider and free TV instead. But things were working until 5 days ago.

I have a subscription to Ancestry.com. I use Edge to create and maintain numerous trees only from my computer.

I haven't had any problems until five days ago, when Ancestry (without notice) upgraded their services (DNA section).

Now, I cannot edit or create trees. There is a "spinning wheel" (like a page trying to download). It's present no matter what I click on in DNA and trees sections (my machine).

When I click on an individual's information to edit, the usual white editing screen comes up; I can put the info in, but when I hit "enter" the page is frozen. There is also a dark-grey background behind the white editing page that never showed before. Also, a series of numbers, such as 3, 24, 8 99, etc. randomly posted at the top of the left-hand side of the screen. The only way to exit is to click out of Ancestry.

I discovered that my husband's computer (using Edge) is fully functional on Ancestry. I can edit, create trees, etc. The numbers at the upper left-hand side are not present.

When I spoke with several Ancestry support reps, they claimed they didn't see the series of number (upper left) and were able to edit. After one rep did an edit, the page seemed to "flash" and then the changes showed up on my end.

After this, they decided that the problem is my computer.

I have tried Chrome, Edge and IE browsers. I was able just once to make an edit in Edge and two edits in IE today (my machine) but able to do so now.

Ancestry had another feature that I signed up for that came through (five days ago) but was in a "loop" after that when I would go back and click on it - the page would just refresh and not bring up the pertinent material as it had before. That finally straightened out.

Thanks for any insights. :)

Connie

See less See more
#3 ·
ancestrycdn.com -
Resolving failed

Error code 22
The proxy failed to resolve site from host name, if this site was recently added please allow a few minutes before trying again.

2018-11-07 03:13:03 UTC
  • Your IP71.86.160.132
  • |Proxy IP45.60.169.132(ID 10530)

#4 ·
it is a fault with Ancestry not your end
From your last post the proxy server is an ancestry proxy, not anything to do with your computer or ISP.
They appear to have misconfigured it, so it won't look up the destination or pass requests through to the correct destination.

The proxy IP address & the ancestrycdn.com IP address are the same , so it is continually looping & gives an error 503

#6 ·
Connie,
What steps are you doing to get into Ancestry?

If you are clicking a saved icon, then try just go to to Ancestry.com, by typing in the URL.
The icon may be leading you astray.

#7 ·
Thank you for your feedback. :)

We are still baffled (non-experts here) how two different computers in the same household come up with totally different site experiences. Especially if it is Ancestry's problem (one website).

For instance, I just tried my husband's computer this morning, right-clicking on Ancestry's edit feature like I did on my computer yesterday.

This time only three features instead of the five I pulled up yesterday (on my computer) came up.

The features that I get on my computer from right clicking: SELECT ALL PRINT READ ALOUND VIEW SOURCE INSPECT ELEMENTS
His computer has only the first three showing.

Ancestry only works correctly on his computer.

Also wondering how my computer gets the non-working version and he doesn't.

We use internet wi-fi.

#9 ·
When you get to Ancestry.com, do you click on the DNA in menu at the top of the webpage?
If not, what do you do?

What is this "ancestrycdn.com" URL?
I get the same error when I try it?

#10 ·
Hi,

Right now, being near a holiday $eason, when I key in Ancestry.com in search, I get a recently added promotional page for their DNA services as their home page with Kelly Rippa selling DNA kits.

I sign in at the upper right corner of that same page and it takes me to the regular home page. If it wasn't a holiday special I would get just the regular home page right off which looks different. (Plain)

Just now, my first try after not being on all day, the plain page came up with the numbers I mentioned earlier, listed in the upper left hand corner again. I copied and pasted:

439c Genealogy, Family Trees and Family History Records online - Ancestry.com 8b 89 67 6e 6b 68 51 55 54 a5 98 8f 196 31
22c
33f8
The website you are about to visit is ProGenealogists®, operated
by TGN Services, LLC, a subsidiary of Ancestry.
Continue to the ProGenealogists website
3af
Make their holidays more meaningful. 20% off Gift Memberships. Buy now.
23 286

#12 ·
Where are you located?

When I log into Ancestry and click on the DNA menu item, I get two choices, Ancestry DNA or YDNA and mtDNA tests.
The first one takes me to the Ancestry DNA screen and the second one gives me the following

Rectangle Operating system Font Screenshot Software

I have my DNA at Familytree DNA, but some how these results are also here at ancestry.
Can you post a screen shot showing these number in the upper left corner?

#13 ·
Hi,

I live in the U.S. - Madison, WI

I did three screen shots.

First file - shows the home page (without the left side numbers) because they disappeared after I went back to do a screen shot.

Second file - The home page with the numbers (after I logged out and logged in again to the home page).

Third file - my DNA page (which looks different than yours).

Did you pay an additional fee to have both maternal and paternal DNA tests done? I thought from what I read recently, that the basic Ancestry kits advertised only test maternal DNA.

(And the tests Ancestry offers tests are only good for going back 5 generations).

Thanks for your time and input. :)

Attachments

#15 ·
Yes a different service
https://www.familytreedna.com/

At the time Ancestry was just starting to get into the DNA thing.

NOTE: the use of posting screen shots within Word does not work as well as just posting the screen shot as a jpg or some other image format.

Everyone does not have a program that may open Word.

#17 ·
No, but just a comment that not all people have MS Word.

As for the screen with the numbers, are they by chance numbers from your DNA test?

I think you bets bet is to give Ancestry and call and see if they can help. If so you need to post back here so we can see what the problem really is.

#18 ·
I did see the DNA numbers format when I read the Ancestry article about printing out a copy of your results. Totally different.

I have been calling Ancestry. I did spot a link at the top of the homepage for assistance and chose from the drop down menu and sent off an email to an "Ancestry expert". Got the same answer keep getting from the phone reps...clear history, etc. However, there was a reject button (for the answer given) so I hit that and then a message came up that someone with "full access" to my account would be next to handle my case. Got this:

Hello Constance,
Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regard to the issues you are having with the website. Most typically when things like this occur we recommend you step through the following article and complete all of the actions. This is not a problem related to the Traits and if so, then the other computer would have the same issue. This is something on your computer and it appears other than cache and cookies, it could be related to needing to update your Java or check your local storage. These things are addressed in this article as well.
Troubleshooting Problems on Ancestry
Fixing Broken Buttons or Page Errors

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to reply to this message or call us at 1-800-ANCESTRY (1-800-262-3787) between the hours of 9am to 11pm EST, seven days a week.
Sincerely,
Katherine
Customer Solutions Associate
Ancestry

----------------
I need to check JAVA since Edge doesn't allow it. A project for tomorrow when I'm fully awake. They're still sticking to the presumption it's all a problem with my computer.

#19 ·
My Ancestry DNA screen is different as I have not had any testing done by Ancestry.

Yes, I agree with them, since it does NOT happen on both machines then there is some issue with the one that does.

What happens if you were to log out of Ancestry and exit your browser.
Then start up your browser and go to Ancestry.com and give it another try.

Have you cleared your browser temp files?

#20 ·
I had been doing that for days (logging out of Ancestry/browser, clear temp files, etc.,) and just did it again for the heck of it, but nothing changes - except that today I just saw on the homepage "NULL" where the numbers were at the upper left hand corner. That's a first.

I did try to edit this time with the person's profile up. I got the edit feature (as usual) and could put in the death date. But it doesn't move after you click save. I could click out of it, though (on the edit form). The profile page stayed up. If I try to edit from tree view, a dark page shows up behind the same white edit page and I have to click out totally to ever get back to see the tree/page.

Working on the JAVA part now as they suggested.

#21 ·
Update - haven't done JAVA yet. Today I realized that my husband was talking about the antivirus software and not the ad removal. (He kept talking about the ad removal that I did turn off). So, to put it in a nutshell, he checked to see what I had done and then went ahead and disabled the antivirus software temporarily. He then tried Ancestry/edit and it worked across all browsers. The problem now is that I am on for at least 4-5 hours during the day, leaving the software off would compromise the computer? We haven't figured out what to do yet. I asked him if IOBIT had a way to make a website an "exception". I did find the customer service number on their website. Didn't see on topics my particular situation.

#22 ·
Since you are running Windows 10, the best AV is the built in Defender.
It appears that most of the third party AV programs are having issues in keeping up with the new versions of Windows 10.
But you need to uninstall the current AV program as it has disabled Defender.

If this has solved your issues, please flagged this thread as "Solved"

#23 ·
Because I am learning, did a little research. Sounds like maybe Defender still needs some additional help(?):
https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/wh...r-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/

Hubby just told me he disabled Defender months ago because of "problems" with it. Purchased the new AV program and feels things are running better since then.

He also checked signing in again today (Ancestry) with the AV program back on with/without Adaware. Turns out now it seems the problem is when Adaware is on.

The Adaware icon does show up on Ancestry pages at the bottom that if you click, has a list of options that don't open to another window that I found to be odd. So I am calling them directly this afternoon.

#24 ·
Connie,
That link that you posted is from back in 2017, there has been several major updates to Windows 10 since then and Defender.

Yes, Adware has been known to have issues running on Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.