1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

anchors in outlook express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by fade011, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fade011

fade011 Thread Starter

hi there.

I need to send an email with some anchors, but outlook wont let me becouse it seems it does not recognize internal links. So if i write some a href="#something" it rewrites that link when i send the email to a href="file/// path... /#something".

I have recieved some newsletters with anchors that works fine in outlook express. The thing is, how they have been send , 'cos when i get the mouse over an anchor link i can see some "mhtml:mid//00000119/#something" instead my "file/// path... /#something"... for xsample.

id like to know if there's any manual way to create those mhtml:mids or if there's any option at outlook express to make that, or if there is any other tool to send newsletters with internal links...

thanks. fade

2. lola2001

lola2001

If you are using OE6 (not sure about the older versions) when you create a message you can click on View and choose Source Edit. At the bottom will appear 3 tabs. Choose Source and you can see all the html code within your message. You should be able to edit it from there, although I don't have a clue why OE would change it when you send it.

3. fade011

fade011 Thread Starter

but the problem is not on "editing code" , outlooks rewrites stuff while sending mails

here i found something important:

there are two ways to send html with images, you know

1. images included in mail (as html, they are embedded while sending message)

2. images with http source from internet.

in this case i need to send em included in the mail, so outlook writes some sole line in the header to know where im taking images from (an absolute path from my hard disk)

while it sends message and embeds images takes info from there and rewrites source.

that was cool, until i saw it affects anchors urls giving em that whole path

if you send a mail with anchors and without images embedded it works!...

the only choice here is to upload images somewhere to use them, and maintain anchors working... but my clients got dial up, so they wont see the newsletter completely while they get disconected....

sigh :(

any other idea... :confused:

fade

4. lola2001

lola2001

I get it now. The only thing I can suggest at the moment is maybe try using Outlook instead of Outlook Express. That program has many more features and it's possible that other people sending out newsletters with anchors are using that program as it's more of a professional tool then the Express version. If I come up with anything else I'll let you know. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

5. fade011

fade011 Thread Starter

seems hard to explain but i got a solution

As i told you outlook wrote a line "base tag". That happened cos all my img src="" where relative and pointing to a same place or folder.

"a base tag is to define src of all stuff used in an html placed in a same folder, so you dont have to write full path each time you need an image".

so same path was being applied to anchors

what i did is to give full absolute full path to each image to avoid outlook writing that line, so now outlook knows where to get images from, and keep anchors separateley and well embedded

this is important, by the stuff ive been reading, most of pp believes you cant even make anchors in outlook

BUT U CAN... WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... IM HAPPY

thanks for you help! seeya :)

6. lola2001

lola2001

I didn't provide any help but I'm glad you figured it out. I'm sure this will happen to someone else and now they will have the solution too.:D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice