1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ancient Computers....

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by cybergum, Dec 13, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. cybergum

cybergum Thread Starter

Just wondering....
    Who here uses (or denies the fact that they use :p) a really ancient computer? Ex. Pentium I and lower...
    This old thing that I use is pretty slow...Pentium I, 90-120 mhz (keep forgetting to check), Win95. Newest thing is a 36x cd-rom drive after I broke the old one :p
    I also have a labtop that's from 1992...Win3.1, 386 upgrade to 496....NEC battery is long dead and replaced by an adapter :)
    Of course...that one doesn't work for the internet :D

So how old are your computers? I'm asking because I constantly see posts about new features in XP, etc, and it makes me feel left out :p

Thanks!

PS-I'm not complaining...my pc outworks my friend's overworked pentium III :)

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

cybergum,

"I'm not complaining...my pc outworks my friend's overworked pentium III"

Well there you go then nothing wrong with your PC, it's been reliable and a good workhorse over the years....right?
    One could argue that anything from earlier than this time last year is 'old'.

I have an old borrowed from this and put into that evolved into a no-name tower with an Intel Celeron 500 and 128mb RAM, it has a 10Gig HD plenty of space for what I have in here and I run Win 98se........nothing fancy.

Point being is that it does the job I need it to do and it does it quite well, it ain't the fastest thing but it works for me. Thing I want to move into next is DSL but even that can wait because Dialup here is good as I connect at 50,667bps.

I have a Lexmark Z31 printer that does the job for my needs I refill the cartridges and that saves $s too.
    What I'd like is a scanner, however I want what I want in a scanner and the really "thin" profile HP is what I want $229 is the best price i've seen and I've told yself as soon as they break $200 I will get me one.

DS

3. Kirkland

Kirkland

There are literally tens of millions of old, worn out computers out there trying to run newer, or up to date software and gagging on it. Those same folks clog up lists and forums with their tales of woe. All you have to do is read their posts to learn what they run to know why they can't or don't work well.

4. KLR

KLR

I have an old IBM Aptiva P133, 80 ram on cable and it works well. Have Used Norton Systemworks to keep thing clean and up to date. Do not do gaming so don't need to much in the way of better graphics. Running IE 5.01 SP1 and Netscape Communicator 4.78. Use MS Office 2000. Win98se.
    Keeping fingers crossed that it will last for another year or so!!
    Ken

5. hewee

hewee

KLR,

Hey welcome to the board.
    Nice to see old friends here.

6. Rikku

Rikku

Just a few months ago, my laptop was a Compaq Aero.

486sx 33 w/ passive color screen. 16megs ram. 800meg HD w/ win95

What a beautiful laptop. Even then it was lighter and smaller than almost anything on the market.

No cd or floppy but that's ok! It did the internet and email just fine!

I'm thinking about picking up another one!

7. Toddles18

Toddles18

I had a 75mhz connected to a cable modem acting as a server for 5 other machines. Then I bought a router. :D

8. jimi

jimi

check this out it'll cheer ya right up

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/cgi-bin/helpline.pl

mine - P350, 128 RAM, 20 gig HD, 44x cd, 19" monitor (hey i work on it all day) DSL (got lucky on that 1 has way more bandwidth than we purchased - not complaining though)

easy to tell how really uses pc - same advise from all - if works it's a great/good machine!!:cool:

9. fenwayrocks

fenwayrocks

My second computer, (use it when the little woman is playing bingo after midnight), is an HP Vectra VL, Pentium 133Mhz, 32 (EDO) RAM and Windows 95b. I'm networked using my phone lines and can get online with both at the same time. Now have ATT cable broadband.

It was my only computer up till 14mos. ago when I got an HP Pavilion, PIII, 667Mhz, Upgraded to 512 Ram, (that type memory is mighty cheap nowadays), with Windows 98se. The Vectra's specs would not allow for broadband in my area but worked OK with dial-up, but s..l..o......w... . . .

I priced memory for the Vectra but was around a hundred bucks for 32,(16 x2). Anyone know where I can get the EDO memory at a reasonable price?

fr

10. Dark Star

Dark Star

11. fenwayrocks

fenwayrocks

Thanks DARK STAR! The prices are about half that of my local computer "super store".

12. Dark Star

Dark Star

You're welcome.........:D

DS

13. JewisHeritage

JewisHeritage

This old 286 with 10Mb Hard Drive still works fine here...Dark Star!

14. Dark Star

Dark Star

JH,

Now that you're out from under the rock you've been under and all.......... I imagine you still think that's lightning fast.

Like I was saying earlier in the thread, it just depends on the users individual needs, and as long as you only use it to e-mail Mulder........a 286 is all you need.

BTW, are you gonna be at the swap-meet this weekend again pawning off that "pallet load of transistor radios" we dropped off over there?
    I'm having a real problem with that whole idea JH .......thing is that was my tax $s that paid for those and they were intended for the listening pleasure of the Non-Talisban populus there.

DS

15. robcaro

robcaro

I cannot say that I use an ancient computer. I have had 8 computers since 1980. I guess I just kept up to date with the latest technology. Never did keep any of the ancient technology but I wish that I had keep my 1st computer which was a Texas Instruments TI994a. It was a fun computer. Also my Commodore 128 was a fun computer too. After that, I just had so called clones.

:cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice