1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Android phone connected to WIFI thru virtual router but unable to browse or download.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vijay_vk55, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vijay_vk55

vijay_vk55 Thread Starter

My Lenovo a 516 connects to the virtual hotspot (my pc), but it doesn't actually receive any data. I can't browse or download.

I have a WIFI dongle (wireless usb nano adapter) connected to my pc, which i think works fine. The problem is with pc's settings because i tried this with 2 phones and outcome was the same.

I do not have much knowledge about how these things work and might have messed up some settings (ip, dns mask- all those things they as u to change,, on youtube).

Kindly help me rectify this..:(:(

PS: When i connected the phone after installing the dongle very first time it worked just fine, i was able to browse and download. Now. Then the wifi fan symbol in my phone showd 2 arrows, both sending and receiving data. Now when i open the browser and try entering any site it shows only upward arrow and thats it.:(:(

2. vijay_vk55

Well if something were to be wrong with the dongle's network I wouldn't be able to establish a connection, right?

I installed a different set of drivers now (ralink), it comes with a wifi utility you can switch it to AP mode and share pc's internet. I tried that too..I've put the pic in the attachment,

This is when i start the AP , the notification icon in the right bottom corner has an exclamation mark, but my phone connects with the wifi signal. My broadband connection is on sharing with wireless network connection.

What should I be doing differently to make this thing work..!!.

Meanwhile my phone is going
    connecting-->authenticatng-->saved,secured with wpa2-->not in range-->so on and so forth..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ik3mhvz9oi9n1zh/SnapShot_140109_233727.png

3. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

The picture link doesn't work. I don't understand what device is giving the Internet connection. Is it the phone? Or a dongle?

4. vijay_vk55

Pc is connected to broadband. I am trying to create an access point on my pc and share it's internet with my android phone.

I have made some progress i guess..Now the access point that i have created has internet access. However my phone doesn't connect to it.

I tried this whole thing on my friend's laptop, he uses a 3g dongle, and it worked, while the same process doesn't work on my pc.

my phone ends up saying "poor internet connection avoided." This image will give you an idea what it looks like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ozsisxoj6b9tpm5/SnapShot_140111_223740.png

5. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Are you trying to set up internet connection sharing? If you are, I'm not familiar with that. I would get a router instead or a stand-alone hotspot from your broadband provider.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice