1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Annika Sorenstam to play in Colonial PGA event

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by LANMaster, Feb 13, 2003.

?

Should Annika Sorenstam (or any woman) play in a men's PGA event?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
Advertisement
  1. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned Thread Starter

Annika Sorenstam (LPGA's best golfer) will play with the men at the PGA Colonial golf tournament.

Should she be allowed?

I say NO!

But probably not for the reasons you might attribute to me.

I will hold my reason why she shouldn't play for a few days just to see if anyone else comes up with the real reason this is a very bad thing.
    ;)

2. marioh

marioh

If she's playing from the men's tees, then I don't have any problems with her playing.
    If she's playing from the women's tees, then she doesn't belong in a men's tourny.

3. LANMaster

She'll be playing from the Men's tees.

And it is already scheduled. She will play.

4. marioh

marioh

Then I have no problem with that.
    But since she is playing the men's tourny, wouldn't it be fair to allow a pro male golfer to play in a woman's tourny (i wonder how low of a score tiger could shoot from the women's tees) ?
    Or is some form of reverse sexism in play here where the women can play on men's tourny's, but men can't play on the women's tourny ?

5. GreenIs

GreenIs

Oh for goodness sake its only golf....lol

I'd disagree if it was mens hockey or american football where it is a physical sport, but golf... come on...:rolleyes:

6. marioh

marioh

After doing some thinking about it, I've changed my mind.
    She shouldn't be allowed on the men's tour (unless it's a pro-am or some other sort of charity tourny).

It defeats the entire purpose of having men's and women's golf leagues.

7. Rockn

Rockn

I am sure you are going to say she shouldn't be allowed to play because of tradition or some archaic reason like that. Or is it for the fact she has different equipment? Do blacks play at your country club or do they have to play at the public courses?? When will the men start playing on the LPGA tour....some of those women are pretty butch so what's the difference.

Just read something about her long game...

8. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well, I think the point made about men being permitted to play on the women's tourney is a valid one. Let's face it, if men were permitted to play in that tourney, not one woman would likley qualify for any prize money or very little if they did. I think its discrimanatory to permit a woman to play on the man's tourney and not the other way around. You can't have it both ways.

9. LANMaster

Women play from the blue tees in the LPGA as well, I think.

P.S. Nobody's hit yet on the real reason why this is a terrible thing.

10. jakoval

jakoval

Unless they decide to change the name to the MPGA, I don't see why she shouldn't play.

11. ComputerFix

ComputerFix

That was my question....

Not a golfer, but as I understand it, there are women's, men's, then pro tee points. The pro does not denote male or female, and I always assumed that both played from there in pro golf.

Half of me says no seperation, you wanna play pro, then you play pro, not male pro, not female pro.

The other half says if we want "seperate but equal", then men can mosey over to the LPGA just like women mosey onto the PGA.

"Special" privilages do not promote equality, whether it be sports or employment (which are one in the same in this case).

12. LANMaster

Valid point CFix. And I agree with it.

But that is not why I think this is such a terrible idea.

And here's why;

I watch some golf on TV PGA and LPGA and sometimes USGA and European.

My main concern is how this decision will harm women's golf.

The LPGA has made great strides in the last 10 years, and the purses and sponsorships have been growing at a professional sports rate. The purses and sponsorships in the LPGA (though still way below the Men's level) are higher than most other Women's sports. (possibly even the highest paying Women's athletic organization)

Admitting women into the Men's PGA will do permanent damage to the LPGA. Perhaps even destroy it completely.

Somebody tell me how that can possibly advance the cause of women!

This is the stupidest thing to come down the road in quite some time. The women's groups that are supporting this are shooting themselves in the foot, and I hate to see it.

:mad:

13. LANMaster

Yes, you're right, and now there is a double standard. The LPGA won't stand for Tiger Woods playing at an LPGA event. Yet, they are letting Annika play in a Men's tournament.

Why not have a CEPGA (Co-Ed PGA) all on its own.
    I'll tell you why not. Because it won't attract the top golfers because the purse and sponsorships would be too low for the top golfers, male or female.

That is what I forsee happening to the LPGA if this political correctness succeeds. The harm this will do to the LPGA makes me furious!:mad:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice