1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Annoying Beeping From Speakers and Alarm Clock/Radio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Frank4d, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

This has been bugging me for months and now I am on a mission to do something about it. Every day I hear an annoying beeping sound from my computer speaker subwoofer that sounds like some kind of a digital code (think morse code) that lasts for 1-2 seconds, then about 1 second later another code that lasts about 1 second. It happens several times every day, and I can't pinpoint a certain time of day.

I hear it from my subwoofer even though the volume is turned all the way down, and at the same time from my am/fm clock radio which also has the volume turned all the way down (which is the primary reason it annoys me... because it wakes me up). That also tells me it is coming from the power line, not coming from the computer.

I have my computer and speakers on an EMI/RFI filtered outlet, but whatever it is still gets through. I am thinking a large isolation transformer might work, and garden variety UPS may not help. Has anybody had experience with this?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    By any chance do you keep a turned on cell phone closer than about ten feet from the speaker amplifier or the clock radio?

3. Frank4d

My cell phone is usually within that range when I hear the beeping, but no calls or text messages are sent or received when it happens.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have noticed that my cell phone seems to "call home" (AT&T) every so often even when not making or receiving calls or text messages. It definitely interferes with my car radio and computer audio (and video a bit). It sounds like a 2-3 second burst of distorted tones

As a quick test, turn your cell phone completely off for at least a couple of minutes. Then turn it on while it is close to the speakers or clock radio. It should transmit for a few seconds while it sets up its radio connection.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Mine also. I even hear the sound from a hotel TV set when my phone is close to the TV.

6. Frank4d

I tried turning the phone off and back on and didn't notice anything. I am going to contact the power company to see if they know of a reason for it.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You know I can even hear cell phone beeping in my headset when someone still has a phone ON. Once above approx 5000msl, it is out of range and the beeping stops until arrival at the destination; then I will hear phones attempting to acquire a signal.

8. Robert_G

Robert_G

Did the power company respond with anything? I experience the same problem, even with my mobile phone turned OFF. The beeping occurs in multiple places throughout my house, including my alarm clock/radio and my PC speakers. This has been going on now for at least two-three months that we have noticed it.... and it is ANNOYING!

It occurs as _.. _.. _.. as the first part and I'm trying to catch the second part.

9. Frank4d

I haven't gotten around to contacting the power company because I haven't heard the beeping sound for about 3 weeks. I probably will when it starts happening again.

10. Robert_G

Robert_G

Just heard it again. Live near Seattle.

It has a quick tone of ... ... ... _.. _.. _ that lasts about 3 seconds. If translated to Morse it is SSSDDT. It comes in the form of static, not necessarily beeping like a computer POST beep.

My mobile was nearby this time. I'm turning my mobile off and doing some testing.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice