1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Annoying Compaq Presario 9232...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by asbo, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asbo

asbo Thread Starter

Ok, I'm trouble-shooting this Compaq Presario 9232 (Series PSB209) for my teacher and the only way it will boot is if you cold boot it (it freezes on start-up, about 1/5 the way thru) and boot in 'safe mode with network' and I tried Scandisk & Defrag, but it helped none. The guy she got it from recently installed two new pieces of hardware: removed both of them, still won't boot right. When I logged the boot (in safe w/ network) the only load that failed was the file 'ndis2sup.vxd' (virtual device driver) and I can't find out where it's coming from.

Here are specs as I can remember:

- Windows 95, build 4 (?)
    - 40 MB of ram
    - Voodoo<sup>3</suP> 2000 PCI (16 MB video ram)
    - Zoom something-or-other 56K modem

Thanks and regards,

2. slipe

slipe

If there isn’t anything important on the HD from the previous user just run the restore disc. I doubt that video card came with the computer so you might download the driver for it before you start. You might want to get the driver for the modem also. If you are lucky it will fit on a floppy. If not you will have to download the video driver using the basic Windows driver from your teacher’s computer unless you know someone with a burner. Most modem drivers will fit on a floppy.

That VXD is from Windows/System, so I suppose it loads with Windows. The computer might have the cab files in a file on the computer since Compaqs use a restore CD. You might look around for it and replace the one in Windows/System with the one from the cab files.

3. asbo

asbo Thread Starter

I apologize for not stating this in the first message, but, it looks to me, the CD-ROM drive has bit the dust. Windows thinks that the comp has two CD-ROM drives and the first one (mitishu??) has something like '!A' halfway across the line...

This one has got me...

Thaknss for any help you can give...

4. asbo

asbo Thread Starter

Ok, I got the diag info,if it will help:

Attached Files:

5. asbo

asbo Thread Starter

Help anyone???

6. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

The ndis2sup.vxd file is a Windows networking component. You could try removing the DUN settings in the control panel and remove the modem and its drivers from the machine. A ZOOM modem is very specific when it comes to installation. As a last resort, you could go into the BIOS and load the setup defaults if you think it is a hardware misconfiguration. Just some thoughts. KW1

7. asbo

asbo Thread Starter

Thanks, I will try that.

I forgot to mention earlier that I have no resource CDs whatsoever for this computer, and except for a Win95 CD, but that did not come with it.

Thanks!

Happy New Year!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice