1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Annoying error after successful RAM upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KrashedKris, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrashedKris

KrashedKris Thread Starter

I've just installed an extra 512 Mb DDR PC3200 DIMM in a Dell OptiPlex GX260 in addition to its previous 128 Mb.

On boot I get the message "Plug & Play Configuration Error. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

If I press F1 Windows loads up fine, when I go into Control Panel, System Properties reports 768 Mb memory installed. Everest Home reports 765 Mb installed. I assume this means the extra 512 Mb is functioning OK, though I would (naively?) think the total memory should be 128 + 512 Mb = 740 Mb ?

On boot, when the error comes up, if I press F2 to run setup, the BIOS (Version A03) reports 768 Mb DDR SDRAM installed; system memory speed 266 MHz; AGP Aperture 128 Mb.

When I ESC out of setup Windows then loads up fine, as normal.

So I seem to have 'almost' been successful upgrading the memory - or have I ?? Do I need to tweak the BIOS memory settings to get rid of the Plug n' Play error message, or is there something else I've missed.

I'd be really grateful for any advice - I'm a hardware novice and this upgrade is for my girlfriend's computer! :)

2. KrashedKris

:eek: :eek: :eek: Well, apologies for the obvious, glaring error in my first post ... and the fact I can't do simple arithmetic :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

... The original memory installed was of course 256 Mb, so the extra 512 Mb naturally brings it to 768 Mb ...

Any advice on the Plug & Play error message is very much appreciated !! (y)

3. KrashedKris

Hi folks,

I was wondering if the plug & play error might be resolved by ugrading the bios - the current bios version on the machine in question is A03 and I have downloaded the A09 upgrade utility from Dell's website - should I go ahead and try it?

Or are there other methods of resolving plug & play configuration errors that I should try first?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice