1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Annoying Firefox plugin check

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by raybro, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

My Dell Inspiron 1501 running XP Home recently started opening a second tab listing my plugin update status in addition to the home page every time I launch it. I've pretty much exhausted what I've been able to find on the web, which included modifying the about:config list a couple of different ways. I can get it to go away with one of the modifications, but then I get notice a plugin is missing (Flash Player) and videos will not play. Firefox is v14.0.1

Anyone know how to get rid of this pain in the behind :mad:

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    So this second tab that is displaying along with the homepage, is it the plugin update status of one specific plugin or all of them? I have never experienced getting an update status of all plugins, but I have experienced something like this with certain plugins. If so, what specific plugin is it.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

<ctrl><shift>A brings it up.
    Have you got it set as a start page?
    Also you might like to turn off "remember my settings". Restart FF a couple of times before turning it back on.

4. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Two screenshots attached. One of FF browser as it opens. Second of FF Options/General tab showing home page set to Google.

Dave.. Where is "Remember my settings" located.

Thanks for responding... :)

Attached Files:

5. DaveBurnett

I had thought there was just one place, but there are several spread throughout the options dialogues.

6. zbd21

zbd21

7. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    I might try reinstalling firefox.

8. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
  9. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Not the most desirable solution, but it works.

First effort... Toggled the about:config entries plugin.scan.4xPluginFolder and plugin.scan.plid.all[/B. This stopped the scan. However, when the browser is opened, a warning about missing Flash Player and some media will not play. Sure enough, YouTube videos will not play. Not acceptable... (n)

Second effort... I toggled the about"config entry extensions.blocklist.enabled. This also stopped the scan web page from opening. However, this also disables the Firefox ability to block use of Java, Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader and Flash Player until you give it permission. The programs have known vulnerabilities and have automatically been blocked by FF. Guess one cannot have it both ways. :(

So I've unchecked "Enable Java content in the browser" Java in the Java properties/Security tab. This removes the plugins from the FF Add-ons list. If I need Java for something, I can always reverse the process. The other option appears to be to live with the plugin scan.

I'll mark this thread "Solved"

10. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Hopefully, you tried reinstalling Firefox. I think when you uninstall, though, a file is still left behind that saves some of the settings, which you wouldn't want, and I know there is a way to delete them. Personally, I don't even have Java installed. Nothing I have needs it and it is so vulnerable, that it's not worth having. I have gotten so many viruses, because of Java, it's not even funny. Even when it is fully updated, and set to check updates everyday, still get viruses from it. Very bad.

11. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Nope, didn't try the reinstall. I may give it a try later this week. If I do, I'll use Revo Uninstaller and it will get everything. The only thing I want to save are my Bookmarks and I can do that easily by exporting them in an html file.

I do use Jave on a couple of sites, but not enough to have it on all the time. I can live with the current configuration.

12. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Never heard of it, but I looked it up. $30 just to do the job of add and remove programs a little better?

13. DaveBurnett

Revo is free.

14. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    Ah. I thought the 30 day trial was for the "free" version, but I guess it's for the pro. I'll have to try it sometime.

15. hewee

hewee

You get a file that is made when you get add-on update called ".autoreg" in the profile folder.
    This gets deleted after Firefox restarts and ot gets deleted. This is a older Firefox version 2

"addons.sqlite-journal" is what is used on the newer Firefox version 18.
    Also seen "extensions.sqlite-journal" made after installing and restarting FF but then after closing again "extensions.sqlite-journal" was deleted.

Then a long time I had something I forget just what it was but was getting a error and it was some file that I deleted from the FF profile.

Look at the dates of the files.
    Have backups and then see what ones you may not be needed by deleting because many get rebuild.

See the screen shots.
    Note they are not the same but each are from FF 18.x
    "FF-Plugin" is with FF open. Note the date and time. 8:22 to 8:23 are the ones made after I did the other installing of add-ons etc for the above post so should show what you see when you start FF and FF is open.
    Then after you close FF "FF-Plugin-2" shows less files.

Note you got that "pluginreg.dat" file there.
    "sessionstore" on FF 2.x get delete after closing FF but it does not in FF 18.x but it may be buggy and has pass session data in it.

So backup files and play around.

Also you may want to go over to Pale Moon.
    http://www.palemoon.org/
    They have up to version 15.4 bit you can get the install or the Pale Moon Portable version.

Then you can see what looks the same in the profile folder and see what added files are made when open and what gets deleted when FF and Pale Moon gets closed.

You can also have FF and Pale Moon both running at the same time.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice