1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Annoying high pitched sound coming from my pc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcroger, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcroger

mcroger Thread Starter

I hear a really high pitched sound coming from my computer, specifically my PSU.
    I can only hear it from certain angles, but it is really annoying after a long time of putting up with it. How do i diagnose where the sound is coming from and if it's the capacitor or the fan?

The sound goes away when the PC is off.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    This sort of high pitched noise is usually a vibrating coil. Unfortunately coils (aka inductors) are common components on motherboards, graphics cards and PSUs.

Are you 100% sure it's coming from the PSU ? If so there's not much you can do except try to ignore it or get another PSU.

It could also be a worn fan bearing. Try to locate it exactly.

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

you can check the fans by removing the side panel
    turn computer on.
    apply light pressure to each fan one at a time as it spins.
    push in the middle where the fan hub is.

if the bearing is worn the sound will change.
    for the CPU fan I wouldn't press in on fan hub.
    if you have access to the fan blade-- just very lightly touch the blade as it spins.
    see if the high pitch sound goes away

4. replay

replay

had a few of the high pitch sound psu's last was a corsair.......... they said it was a bad capacitor........ see if u still have warranty on it and RMA

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1074903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice