Annoying IE Start Page Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

spurkbik201

Every time I start IE, the following URL always appear
http://runonce.msn.com/en/runonce.asp
Even if I complete the form, language and country settings of US and English and keep my existing home page, the same msn page appears upon next startup of IE.

My home page is about:blank which I always get if I do the manual workaround of getting rid of http://runonce.msn.com/en/runonce.asp
by hitting the Home button in IE.

I have checked to confirm with Spybot I am spyware free. I also run Lavasoft Pro with Ad-Watch with settings of Active and Automatic checked to prevent any spyware registry changes. I also daily download any updates to Lavasoft and any time I run Spybot.

How do I get my home about:blank page to appear first in IE and not the msn page automatically? I am running version 6.0.2800.1106 of IE and also have downloaded critical updates and security patches.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
From your post: ""I also run Lavasoft Pro with Ad-Watch with settings of Active and Automatic checked to prevent any spyware registry changes.""

That is probably what is preventing your changes from taking place....

I had the settings changes you need to make someplace, will post them shortly.

Remeber to set it back the way you were originally. It's common to have some protective program that you need to temporarily turn off to make changes.

Or, you might have other programs installed that can prevent changes....SpywareGuard,
SpySweeper, or Microsoft Antispyware???

Please disable Ad-Watch, as it may hinder the removal of some entries.
To disable Ad-Watch:

Right-click the AW icon in the systray and select "Unload Ad-Watch" and also uncheck Load AdWatch at System Start and Automatic.
When you have finished cleaning open Ad-Aware and click on the AdWatch button, then reverse the settings.

$$you may also need to turn off MS Anti-Spyware's realtime protection as it will interfere with the changes we are trying to make.

Open MS Anti-Spyware and click on Options>Settings.
Click on "Realtime Protection" in the left pane.
Remove the check by these:
Enable the Microsoft Security Agents on startup. (recommended)
Enable real-time spyware threat protection. (recommended)
Click "Save".
Now right click the MS Anti-spyware icon in your system tray and choose "Shutdown Microsoft Anti-Spyware".
You should re-enable these when we are finished here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.