1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Annoying Network or Modem Issue

Discussion in 'Networking' started by m3rr3ll, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m3rr3ll

m3rr3ll Thread Starter

My laptop only connects to the internet after I restart it.
    The real issue is that when I close my laptop and leave it. Let say overnight or after a day at work and comeback to get on the internet it will not work. The network is connected just fine but the internet will not work. I want to say it has something to do with the modem but my my roommates old slow POS computer works first fine. She never has to restart her computer.
    I have gone through forums and looked around and tried various different things and nothing works. It is not the end of the work that I have to restart the computer but I have never had something like this happen before. It seems to be only at this one location. I even took switched computers with my girlfriend and it does the same thing.
    I have changed routers and changed settings. I don't know what it is. I just think my laptops are cursed at this apartment.

It is through Verizon DSL. Westell 6100 Modem. I have used an ACER Aspire 3000 and an IBM T42. The ACER is the computer I am working on right now. It has a Broadcom Wireless card internal. I am thinking it is the modem freezing up because the lights on it won't blink until I restart the computer. But then again my roommates computer works just fine. It is aggravating to say the least and I can't find a solution. Crying and punching holes in walls is not helping. Someone help. Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I just think my laptops are cursed at this apartment."

Your symptoms along with the above statement makes me think of possible (infrequent) wireless interference, such as from a 2.4Ghz cordless phone or another wireless network on the same or close channel.

Or, if your network is unsecured, maybe somebody is just playing with you--forcing a disconnect.

Or, if you are using WEP maybe somebody is practicing their cracking skills--the latest techniques, I understand, include flooding the channel with so many messages that often the network fails.

I don't think this applies to you, but let me mention that I've found that PCs coming out of Standby or Hibernation don't always reconnect nicely. For a while my laptop would have to be restarted after Hibernation to reconnect; then for no apparent reason it started working again nicely.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When the laptop goes into standby, it might not recovery properly. In Device Manger, check the properties of the wireless adapter and uncheck the box "Windows can turn this device off to save power".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice