1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Annoying problem, please help me!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sideout1077, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sideout1077

Sideout1077 Thread Starter

Hey, I have an annoying thing happening to me. Whenever I try to download a file off the internet (not the illegal kind, but where you download it off a website and right-click "Save Target As..."), it'll download a little bit of the file, and then stop. The piece of paper flying from the little globe into the folder still goes, but the download doesn't get anywhere. GRRR! Can someone help me out with this? Thanks! BTW, I have Windows XP Home Edition.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What happens after it stops? Have you waited to see if it actually downloads after a time and the percentage downloaded is just not being renewed? All file types or just one?

For a start, empty all your temporary internet files.

3. Sideout1077

After it stops, it'll just sit there for hours and hours with the image of the paper flying still going. It doesn't really do anything after it stops. The window stays open and everything. It's just kind of like it gets stuck. And yeah, I actually left it on all night to see if maybe it would finish, but it didn't do anything. Hopefully my explanation made sense... :rolleyes: Thanks.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Empty your temporary internet files.

Then, reset your connection parameters (repair TCP/IP) by going to Start > Run, and typing: cmd
    OK.

At the command prompt, type:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    <Enter>

Reboot.

The changes made by resetting TCP/IP will be in the resetlog.txt file in your root directory.

5. Sideout1077

I did everything you said, and at first it seemed to work, but only for small downloads. But it stopped, and just to be sure it wasn't going to finish, I didn't close the window, but they just timed out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice