1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Annoying USB problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Electronmick, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electronmick

Electronmick Thread Starter

I have a DELL Dimension desktop computer running windows XP. The annoying problem I have is that if I try plugging in any external device like a memory stick/ flash drive to any of the spare USB ports, windows does not detect the device. It does not register in “My computer” window or found using windows explorer, and there are no error messages.
    However if I now restart the computer with the memory sticks or external devices already plugged into the USB ports there is no problem, and all items are picked up by windows and given a drive reference. (drive F, H, I etc). So long as I do not switch the computer off I can unplug and reinsert the item and still gain access. All that happens is a red question mark appears against the drive icon in “ My computer” window when the device is removed and I go back into “My computer” The red question mark disappears as soon as I plug the device back into the USB port and again open “My computer” window.
    There does not appear to be any problems with the USB controllers and associated host controllers or root hubs, all return message “The device is working correctly”, leaving me to think something may have accidentally been switched off by me or during one of the many automatic windows updates from Microsoft, preventing scanning of the USB ports for new devices after the computer has booted up. Can anyone help me resolve this annoying problem?

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Don't know if this will help, but maybe it's worth a try?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_Windows_xp_does_not_recognize_flash_drive

Once you get everything set up, perhaps you can run a back up of documents and settings and then back up your registry. Erunt (if you don' have/use it already) is a good program that will back up your registry and place the back up in C:\Windows, where it can be accessed by a tech in the case of a situation in which he/she can't get into Windows. Each back up happens on boot up. If you do install Erunt, I recommend downloading and installing Eruntgui 1.5. This will add a graphical user interface to Erunt, so that you can decide and set the back up properties more easily, such as how many back ups to keep. Kind of important as I think it's set to keep 30 of them which gets into the GBs of info on most machines. I don't boot very oftenly, so I have mine set for 5. Even though there aren't many of them, they will be sufficiently spaced out to guarantee that one of them should be good in the off chance of a problem...

3. Electronmick

Electronmick Thread Starter

Thanks for the Info about Erunt and will look into installing this interesting software. At present I do have full backup for all my documents, computer settings and registry. I am hoping it is a simple matter of switching something back on, or a driver update rather than doing any major re-installation of windows. Regards Electronmick

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice