annoying word underlining

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dmcd

When I am using IE and browsing the web, certain key words are underlined in the page and if you click on them, they go to a definition........it is driving me mad!! does anyone know how to get rid of them please??? I am using windows xp too if that is any help??

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
It's not a problem with your PC or IE, they are put there by the site designer, and no there is nothing you can do about it! :(

bassetman said:
It's not a problem with your PC or IE, they are put there by the site designer, and no there is nothing you can do about it! :(
It might be...

dmcd - Do you have any toolbars like the Google Toolbar installed? And does it do it on every website you visit?

Oh, and do you have Greasemonkey?

dmcd

I do have toolbars but dont know which ones they are (one says RX).
The underlining happens on EVERY site (including this one)
No I dont have Greasemonkey - should I have???
thanks

It is not the fault of Internet Explorer - it is a third party program you installed. Try to pinpoint when it started and if you installed a particular program at that time, disable it. Or disable unnecessary programs in task monitor until you discover where it originates. Then look for settings in that program.

Or, if it always goes to a particular website, you could have picked up spyware.
Hijack This Log might point out something. Download from here. Not zipped, so you can make a new folder for it and save it there. Close all open windows before running Hijack This. Click 'Do a system scan and save a logfile.' Copy the entire log in notepad and paste it here. Do not fix anything yet because most items are normal or needed. Then hope someone here will analyze the log.

Hijack This

dmcd said:
I do have toolbars but dont know which ones they are (one says RX).
The underlining happens on EVERY site (including this one)
No I dont have Greasemonkey - should I have???
thanks
No you don't need Greasemonkey. Greasemonkey is a extension for Firefox that could possibly add links to words.

Not knowing your toolbars is bad, and is a sign of Spyware/Adware.
Follow the instructions given above by sekirt.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online